Talk

Advanced search

query re flexible working application?

(2 Posts)
stressed2007 Tue 13-Feb-07 21:59:03

Ok. This is probably a really dense question but something has occurred to me re my flexible working application which I am just about to submit. Do I have to explain, or rather justify, why I am making my particular request (if not on my application itself at least in the subsequent meeting to discuss the application?). I am thinking of requesting the following:
(a) working from home for 2 (maybe 3) days a week; and
(b) leaving the office by 4.30 pm on the days that I am in the office (with the hour I leave early made up in the evening) as childminder needs baby picked up by 5.30pm.

The justification for (b) is of course that I need to be home in time to pick up the baby but what do I need to say for (a)? Is it sufficient to say that working for home will save me 2 hours travelling each day and therefore I will be able to spend more time with baby or does there need to be a more practical reason which may need embellishing such as the fact that she has a different minder in the afternoon to the morning and needs to be delivered? (what I am concerned about is that if work say leaving 4.30 pm and making up the hour is acceptable they will go on to say that this should be sufficient and I have to do this and not allow me to work from home).

Any thoughts on this? Am also posting this on "employment issues" as I don't know which board this is best posted on. Thank you.

TinCan Thu 22-Feb-07 08:36:20

I was told that I didn't have to justify my reason in writing for why I was applying for flexible working. Ultimately the decision for a company to agree to flexible hours is really more dependent upon whether or not you could still satisfy business requirements whilst working a flexible schedule rather than the reason for the request. However, obviously your employer probably knows you have children and the reason for your request is therefore quite obvious. I chose to discuss my reasons with my manager rather than put in writing.

I kept my application simple by stating my requested hours, the potential business impact and how I intended to mitigate that impact (i.e. work from home in the evening if necessary on the days I need to leave at 4:30).

Every company is probably different and I don't know the legalities, but this is how I handled it! Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now