Advanced search

Change of career

(5 Posts)
Immyblue Tue 15-Nov-16 15:22:05

Hi I have been a hairdresser for 10years and since having my little boy I am wanting a change in career, I want to be a teaching assistant but have no experience or qualification. What is the best way to go about this? Bearing in mind I can't afford child care to work volenteraly. Do I need to go to college or can I get away with just applying for the job?

OP’s posts: |
indigox Tue 15-Nov-16 22:52:51

TA jobs are competitive, without experience and qualifications you're facing an uphill battle, you're going to be competing against lots of people who have them both. Have you taken a look at the job ads for positions in your local area? It's always worth applying, but I'd be looking at getting a qualification especially if you have no experience working with children.

hutchblue Wed 16-Nov-16 14:22:54

Immyblue Tue 22-Nov-16 16:07:29

Thank you for ur advise I am going to look into getting some volentary work in a school also

OP’s posts: |
Greenandmighty Tue 22-Nov-16 21:17:31

I started off working 1 day as a voluntary TA in a further education college (not only schools that recruit TAs). This voluntary role developed into a permanent part time role so I suggest if you are not under pressure to earn yet, try the voluntary route first. You can then test the water. It's important to consider: what age range are you happy working with? Do you prefer to work with SEN children or do you wish to work in classroom as a general support? Qualifications are available and your employer may encourage you to get these once you are established in the school and wish to progress. Good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in