Talk

Advanced search

If you work 16hrs a week and have a child at school and one in PreSchool...

(17 Posts)
BretonStripe Fri 11-Nov-16 23:11:38

...would you mind telling me what hours/days you work please? And how on earth you manage to do the various pick-ups and drop-offs?

I've been a SAHM for three years, have a child in Yr1 and and another who will soon turn three (gets his 15 funded/free hours from next April).

A job opportunity has arisen in a town 20 mins away, 16hrs a week and they're flexible on when you work them. 2yo's PreSchool is a 5 min drive in opposite direction, ds1's school is a 5 min walk from our house.

Is it best to work 10-2 four days a week so I could manage drop offs and pick ups myself, or do 2/3 long days and try to find a Childminder/ask MIL to help out with childcare? DH can help out ad hoc.

Also, it's all year round, so what would I do during the holidays? It's a frigging minefield! But I'm really tempted to apply.

Any thoughts and experiences most welcome - thank you smile

Tarrarra Fri 11-Nov-16 23:20:04

Can you do 4 short days in term time and 2 long days in the holidays?

BretonStripe Fri 11-Nov-16 23:21:45

Ooh, that's a great idea - thanks!

Another thought was that I could ask to work from home during holidays, but with two small kids I'm not sure how much work I'd get done.

Oatsinajar Fri 11-Nov-16 23:23:26

Personally I would do 10-2 5 days a week and only work term time or

Put kids in breakfast club, go to work early and leave at 2, and do 3 days a week.

thewideeyedpea Fri 11-Nov-16 23:23:37

Hello, I work 4 days a week from 8am until 12pm. DD1 in yr4 goes to breakfast club at 7.45 and I am back to do the school run in the afternoon. DD2 & DS (3 & 23 Months) go to a childminders whilst I'm at work. I'm lucky to have a great school , childminder & job all within a 5 mile radius!

Oatsinajar Fri 11-Nov-16 23:24:26

I would want to work an arrangement where my kids don't have to go to a child minder. I don't mind breakfast club or 30 min after school

PinkFondantFancy Fri 11-Nov-16 23:24:27

You can't work from home unless you have childcare. Not a chance that will work. In the holidays you can use some annual leave/hope family will help out with some childcare/do childcare swaps with other families. You'll be able to work it out.

BretonStripe Fri 11-Nov-16 23:30:53

oats the job spec definitely states all year working so don't think they'd go for term-time only unfortunately. Otherwise it'd be perfect.

There's no breakfast club at the community PreSchool, it's open 9am - 3pm. It will take me 25 mins or so to drive from there to work.

Ds1 starts school at 9am. I don't like the out-of-school club for a few reasons so don't want him going there.

thewide I think a Childminder would probably be the way forward tbh. I've never used one before so would be a bit anxious. I guess it's like most things; trial and error. Wow, can't imagine starting work at 8am ! -I'm so not a morning person Thank you for sharing your working week with me smile

Superc3228 Sat 12-Nov-16 08:47:50

Hi I've just (reluctantly) returned to work after maternity leave and my DD is at a childminder 4 days a week. Pleased to say she loves it, the childminder is great and she loves being with the older kids. It's like she has an extra grandma and extra older siblings.
So childminder could be nice for your little one if you find a good one! I gave her a long run up, visited and sat with her etc before leaving her there for the day, that seemed to help a lot.
All the best x

OneWingedAngel Sat 12-Nov-16 09:01:26

I have 2 DC one in reception and one in preschool. I am very lucky to have a school hours job. It allows me to drop both children at school (which fortunately both buildings are in same location) and pick them up. For school holidays I have a very reliable child minder but I appreciate it's daunting finding one suitable for your family.

I do pay extra hours for my youngest but as a single parent you can claim a lot back via childcare tax credits which makes working more viable. It can just be a bit of a faff contacting tax credits every school holiday and term start as costs fluctuate!

That said when husband was still with us I used to do 3 full days a week and I think maybe I preferred this as I was less tired and had more full days to do stuff with the children. Whereas despite only working 5 hours a day by the time I've picked up the kids, got us home and fed and bathed and prepared everything for the next day it's late and I'm exhausted! But hey at least this way I'm there with them mornings and afternoons. Sorry - probably not altogether too helpful!

Mummamayhem Sat 12-Nov-16 09:07:12

I have almost the exact same situation op. Having done the job for a couple of months now I'd say go for two long days if you can! 9-5. Saves on petrol/additional child care costs and means you will have some time to yourself if your little one does 3 days at pre school. ....now I just need to persuade my boss!

BretonStripe Sat 12-Nov-16 09:38:59

super do you just have the one child? I worked 3 long days (08.30 - 5) three days a week when we just had one child, and it was easy as he just went to a nursery 8-6 which was on the way to dh's work. Having two kids was a massive game changer, the logistical nightmare being one of the reasons I gave up work. Glad your lo loves her Childminder, that's fab smile

One ah wow, hats off to you doing it single handedly, must be incredibly difficult. What days/hours do you work please? Your post was helpful! I'm torn between wanting to be there at drop-off and pick up, to support the children, or wanting to farm that hassle out for a couple of days so I can just get up and leave for work/come home and someone else has already stood in the rainy playground and put up with them whinging that they don't like their dinner !

Mummy thanks for your advice. I know what you mean about doing more short days in that I'll still have to get them to two different locations (one in another village, a short drive away) for 9am, work, collect from two places, take to clubs, do dinner etc Definitely leaning towards only working 2/3 long days, and having the others to catch up on housework and sleep!

BretonStripe Sat 12-Nov-16 09:39:26

P.s Mummy good luck with your boss.

BretonStripe Sat 12-Nov-16 13:38:29

Bump

BretonStripe Sun 13-Nov-16 18:27:33

Urgh, I'm really torn whether to apply for this job or not now.

On one hand I'm pretty bored after three years being a SAHM, so would love a change. But on the other, it seems like it's going to be a logistical nightmare getting the two smallies to different places, so should wait until ds2 starts school in Sept 2018.

I don't have to work, and the job is only paying £8 p/h and is a 25 minute drive away, so maybe I should just stick it out for another 22 months? Decisions decisions...

HamSandwichKiller Sun 13-Nov-16 20:26:37

In your place I'd apply anyway and see how you get on. Even if you don't get it updating your CV and/or a bit of interview practice could be a boost for you.

BretonStripe Sun 13-Nov-16 22:20:22

Thanks Ham, I think you're right. I've not had a job interview for 7.5yrs so am definitely rusty!

I've emailed the company and asked if they have any idea on roughly what hours they'd like the post holder to do, and explained I have almost 3 and 6 year old children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now