Person Specification....help?

(10 Posts)
Katymac Mon 07-Nov-16 13:09:11

If they ask for 5 GCSEs and you have them but also have a degree (both mentioned in the education) do you specifically mention the 5 O levels?

Or just make the assumption that if you have a degree awarded in 2011 that you would have the GCSEs?

Katymac Mon 07-Nov-16 13:44:03

& how do you differentiate between:

"Personal profile describing your key skills and attributes" & "Key strengths that you would bring to the job"

I think I have: Work examples of how you meet the essential and desirable criteria as described in the information pack

Katymac Tue 08-Nov-16 09:14:28

bump

Teacupinastorm Tue 08-Nov-16 09:17:54

I think I would just summarise my education, so for example 'my qualifications include X GCSE's, X A Levels and then in blah blah I completed a degree in this subject'

To me personal profile sounds like talking about all of your skills and strengths that you have developed in previous roles or that you naturally have. Then I would talk about strengths and skills I have that are really specific to the job, linking them to the role where possible.

Katymac Tue 08-Nov-16 09:19:17

It's going to be a lot of duplication I think, I hate job applications

itlypocerka Tue 08-Nov-16 09:21:51

Skills are things that you have learned how to do, that you will use in the job. Whereas strengths are things that are inherent to your personality that you never learned which will be useful e.g. being a nitpicking perfectionist.

Katymac Tue 08-Nov-16 09:25:34

itlypocerka, you know me so well!!

I suppose I wouldn't have asked the questions if I wasn't such a perfectionist!!

itlypocerka Tue 08-Nov-16 09:27:04

Duplication is good. Remember the person who reads this isn't going to be reading it carefully like you do. They will be skim-reading whilst trying to get through a stack of 40 applications when they only have an hour, and pulling out 10 or fewer that are most promising to read more closely and select the 4 they want to interview.

If you only mention each good thing about you once, the chances are that you will come across as half as good as you actually are.

Bookishandblondish Tue 08-Nov-16 09:32:59

Well I only have 4 GCSEs at C grade - but a degree and a masters so I personally wouldn't assume anything.
I have been declined for a job which wanted a B in math despite said masters ( qualm and quant subject) and seriously relevant work experience. But the B was important to them.

Katymac Tue 08-Nov-16 09:33:35

I'm going ofr an informal chat later today <gulp>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now