Talk

Advanced search

How long is long enough to decide you hate your job?

(15 Posts)
winkywinkola Wed 02-Nov-16 20:24:41

I've been there seven days now. I really don't like it. sad

TheFirie Thu 03-Nov-16 03:21:23

When I worked for a famous American company, 3 hours were enough.

Brontebiscuits Thu 03-Nov-16 06:11:49

Is it a new role or something you've returned to? What is it you don't like? Anything you can change? People always say around 3 months to fully settle into a job. I have just left a job I hated and the relief is massive but I gave myself a few months before I decided I had to go (i was there 9 months in total).

winkywinkola Thu 03-Nov-16 11:25:06

Well they seem to think I'm a creative genius. I'm not at all. I managed creatives in my previous roles. I was slack jawed when they pronounced me in that way.

And it seems chaotic. And too much. Perhaps I need to look at it as exciting and big period of change.

hutchblue Thu 03-Nov-16 12:58:41

Try 30 days. That's usually enough for a new rhythm/habit to bed itself in and get the full picture..
I got sick from staying in a place too long that wasn't right for me.
But, if it's really not you and you're not in desperate need of the money then I'd probably leave.
Life's too short!
xx

Hoppinggreen Thu 03-Nov-16 20:49:07

I started a new job last Monday - went home after 4 hours and never went back!!
That's was quite extreme though, normally I would suggest you give it about a month

miserablemoo Sat 12-Nov-16 15:37:05

I'm 3 weeks in and hate it sad
But we need the money and it's only for Christmas. But I dread it.

Mymothersdaughter Sat 12-Nov-16 15:48:44

I hated one of mine within a couple of weeks. It didn't get better but I stayed until I got something out of it (substance for my cv) then moved on. I got ill because of it and was miserable for a year and drove my friends up the wall complaining.

Make a plan then use this job as part of your grand plan to get where you want to go. Rinse it dry for every little benefit you get out of it then move. Don't make yourself ill, don't be a martyr, don't stay if you don't have to. Life is too short to be in a shit job.

Damelo Sat 12-Nov-16 15:52:50

6 weeks. Im 7 weeks in to a new job and i nearly walked out at the end of week 5. Was feeling sick at the thought of all the mistakes i was goung to have pointed out to me. All they did was tell me what i was doing wrong..... but thst has eased up a bit

miserablemoo Sun 13-Nov-16 17:24:56

Thanks both of you smile

You have made me realise that if I'm not happy then only I can change it. Think I will look for another job and chalk this up to experience. I will stay in the mean time though.

It's not so much the job but the people to be honest. One of them make's me feel like a nuisance asking things but is quick to complain if you make a mistake. It makes me on edge and in turn miserable.

indigox Mon 14-Nov-16 11:07:44

My worst one I'd decided around 2 days in, I stayed for 4 weeks after that but was so thoroughly miserable by the end of it and mentally exhausted as a result I could barely get out of bed in the morning, and was coming home and going straight back to bed.

miserablemoo Mon 14-Nov-16 23:12:53

After a couple days off I'm dreading tomorrow morning. In fact my days off have been ruined by my worrying about going back!

JenniferYellowHat1980 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:47:53

I hated mine within 5 minutes - as long as it took for the HT to reprimand a member of staff for laughing during the opening talk - an uncomfortable giggle due to a rumbling tummy. Set the tone - she had something of a messiah complex.

miserablemoo Wed 16-Nov-16 10:58:03

Sounds horrible Jennifer! How long did you last there? The other girl I started with has gone. I keep telling myself it's just till the end of December but I'm so bloody anxious and I can't eat or sleep. Some of the staff have been rude to me when I have done my best to be nice and just do my best. Training has been rubbish but I'm expected to know everything and get huffed at when I ask for help. If we wasn't so desperate for money I would be gone. But I'm so bloody miserable. I went back to work as well to meet and talk to others after being a sahm for so long. But they don't want to chat even. Well better go get ready for another shift.

Mymothersdaughter Thu 17-Nov-16 06:54:06

How's it going this week OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now