Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Job application help needed please - NHS

(7 Posts)
sohackedoff Tue 01-Nov-16 17:43:40

I'm looking to return to work after 8 years and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed! I've seen a job on the NHS website but I'm struggling how best to complete the additional information in support part. I'm not a medical professional and this role isn't medical but legal (my background).

The person spec gives details of the skills they're looking for, which I believe I have, but I just don't know how to set it out best

Any advice would be very gratefully received

TIA.

bigredboat Thu 10-Nov-16 12:40:05

I would set it out like a covering letter/statement stating examples of how you meet each point on the person spec.

ftmsoon Thu 10-Nov-16 12:53:13

If it's NHS, it should be on the website and you just fill in the form. Covering letters are not normally necessary, and may not even be read.

bigredboat Thu 10-Nov-16 12:55:34

I didn't mean do an actual covering letter, I meant in that section on the online form word it like a covering letter/statement etc.

hutchblue Thu 10-Nov-16 15:00:50

You could put the skill in capital letters on one line and then start a new line and give evidence about how you can prove you have that skill.

ie,
COMMUNICATION SKILLS
I have excellent communication skill due to the work I did at XYZ where I was in charge of ABC, meaning I had to do 123 etc.

LEGAL SKILLS
My legal skills were developed when I was at blah blah blah

And so on...

NHSerrr Thu 10-Nov-16 15:15:04

I agree with hutchblue - that's my preferred approach when applying and also what I prefer to see when shortlisting candidates myself. (Basically, make it as easy as possible for the recruiting manager to see that you meet all the requirements.) If there are tons of individual skill / experience points listed in the spec then group them as you think best. Good luck!

GetHappy Sat 19-Nov-16 22:10:23

As a NHS manager when shortlisting for posts I like people to elaborate on their skills but I also think that mentioning the role you are applying for and the department is always good as you can see that they are interested in the post and not just whacking another application through

I recently had someone put in out trust values which showed they had really looked into the job before sending the application form

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now