Talk

Advanced search

Should I do a Social Work MA? I need your advice...

(3 Posts)
NipSlipper Mon 24-Oct-16 18:20:01

I'm 39 yrs old. DC are 12 and 8 yrs old. I'm a Safeguarding Officer in a (large) education setting. I've been here for 3 years, and I've done shedloads of CPD in this area.

I got to this job having previously worked as a careers advisor in secondary schools (I have a postgrad diploma in Careers Guidance) and with the local Youth Offending Service (in restorative justice/reparations). I have also done lots of voluntary work with YOTs and in youth offending institutions.

However, I want to move on (and to be honest 'up'!) ...and the opportunities in education are limited. I earn 30k pa right now and would like to get closer to 40k in the next 5 years.

I don't really want to be a child protection social worker, in all honesty. But there are lots of jobs about that look interesting and have better salaries than my job that require a social work qualification, e.g. CAFCASS case workers, youth offending team workers etc.

The Masters is gruelling and two years full time. I'm under no illusions. And there is a cost hmm.But if (^if^) I could commit to the cost and gear myself up energy-wise to do this qualification...would it be a good career move?

I am wondering whether its stupid to embark on this at my age...or not?

Vetsandpets Mon 24-Oct-16 18:28:33

Can you not do one of the graduate entry routes into social work - DD recently enquired about one (she's third year uni) and was told that a large percentage of the people taking this route were 40+ years

www.thinkahead.org is one of them but I think there are others.

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Oct-16 18:30:49

My niece is a CPSW and nearly going crazy with the stress of it. The workload and responsibility is relentless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now