Talk

Advanced search

Homemade craft ideas

(2 Posts)
mummasays Fri 14-Oct-16 21:46:36

I'm currently on Mat leave wondering if I can find a hobby which I could potentially earn from (would love to be sahm) I'm not incredibly imaginative so would love to hear ideas of what people make/do/create and sell to earn some pennies? 

hutchblue Sat 15-Oct-16 11:29:09

I'm a biz coach and when I talk to clients who are stuck for ideas I ask them what did they love to do between the ages of 7 and 14.
Did you love to write, draw, make things with your hands.
I ask because running a business is hard work and if you do something you're naturally good at then you'll find it easier to last the distance. It really is a series of ups and downs and as your own boss it's easy to give up early on when you need full velocity to get the plane off the ground so to speak.
All the research at the moment seems to be pointing to people to look at the early stage in their life and what they were good at then, rather than just picking something at random.
That's actually what I did, picked something at random, also on maternity leave. I chose jewellery and got a city and guilds in silversmithing. Got nominated for an industry award 2 years in and then promptly gave up after my second child.
Truthfully I love making jewelllery but the biz model didn't stack up for me in the way I wanted to do it. And it also with hindsight wasn't fully in my zone of genius. Sorry that's a bit of biz coach speak there.
Anyway, good luck with your hunt. I hope you find something that really lights you up.
Just start by making a list of everything you're good at.

For ideas for craft making just search etsy.com - loads of crafters on there making masses of stuff.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now