We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Interview tomorrow - your biggest weakness

(7 Posts)
ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 13-Oct-16 14:35:14

I've got an interview tomorrow. Sent my CV in on Monday and received an email yesterday requesting an interview Friday morning. I'm really happy to get the interview and I want this job but it's not left me loads of time to prepare.

I think I'm fine for work based questions as a lot of my previous experience was working I customer complaints so I can pull quite a few examples from there.

The company is a small business with not a lot of employees (around 10 - maybe less) so I don't think it will be the type of interview with a huge amount competency based questions and business buzz words.

I have a set of questions in mind for the end but I will use my judgement on the day regarding which ones to ask. I've got:

Where do you see the company 10 years from now?
What does a typical day look like?
What is the company/ office culture?
How would you describe your management style?
Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Strengths question I think I'm fine with but the 'your biggest weakness' one always throws me.

I always struggle at appraisals and undersell myself. I tend to share credit with my team rather than take the credit myself (even when I have done most of the work). It's just on my nature but I've worked in enough dog eat dog offices to know this gets you nowhere. I have been trying to improve this and work on saying I instead of we.

How do I word this and put a positive spin on it? Or should I just go for something else all together?

Will I just say something along the lines of 'I tend to undersell myself and my accomplishments.' But where to go from there?

Please help.

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 13-Oct-16 14:36:47

Sorry for the typos - I'm on my phone.

ThanksForAllTheFish Fri 14-Oct-16 00:03:46

Is ok I'm going to go with something else that is really a strength in disguise. I've got a good example for how it became a positive.

ThanksForAllTheFish Fri 14-Oct-16 11:38:02

Well after all that they didn't even ask the strengths and weaknesses question. Don't think I got the job though as a babbled too much.

hutchblue Fri 14-Oct-16 12:30:35

Don't worry Fish, whatever the outcome it was good practice.

Good luck for whatever the future holds and don't be too down on yourself.

Maybe the next job that comes up is the perfect fit for you.

Kerberos Fri 14-Oct-16 12:38:14

It's difficult isn't it. Everyone had weakness but it seems such a weird question to ask.

I had an interview yesterday too. When will you hear about yours?

onlyconnect Fri 14-Oct-16 12:39:56

I really wouldn't go with a weakness that's actually telling them another strength ( which I'd say what you suggest is). I'd tell them something real that isn't too damaging. I've only been asked this question once and I prefaced my answer saying that I wanted to give a genuine answer rather than an answer designed to show off another strength. I did get the job.
I think it's a silly question. They'd be better to ask what aspects of the job you'd find most challenging. Maybe you could reframe it to that if they ask you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now