We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What sort of job should I apply for? It's tricky

(10 Posts)
Katymac Tue 11-Oct-16 16:25:19

I spent the last 6 months working part-time in a cafe as my previous self-employment went bust

That employment was running a nursery for 13 years (employing up to 8 staff) but officially as I ran a childminding setting I was a childminder

My degree is in Systems Analysis & Change Management - but it's an OU ordinary degree not an honours (I got in in 2008)
I have an EYP (level 7), Childcare level 3, Line management level 3, low grade A levels and 7 O levels

I'd like something with a bit of thinking in it now I have "got over" the nursery closing

But 'big' jobs look for experience I don't have and 'smaller' jobs involve only my practical skills - I don't want to work with children but Project management and stuff like that I'm not experienced enough for

Help!

Katymac Tue 11-Oct-16 19:43:49

Some of the jobs I can apply for are £6 an hour (that's below min wage) & others over £30K (way to high for me)

My first day has confused me

hutchblue Wed 12-Oct-16 14:04:57

Looking on reed.co.uk

There are over 1000 "Project Management Assistant" roles across the UK.

Why don't you apply for something like that?

It's kind of an entry level position so you wouldnt' be expected to know loads.

Salaries would be approx 17k to 25k approx, depending on where you live.

Just apply. Explain you wanted to try running your own business but it wasn't as easy as you'd expected and you realise you need more business experience first before trying anything like that again.

Employers don't view that kind of step negatively, if anything they seem someone prepared to take a risk and step out in the unknown.

Many first businesses fail. In fact most do. So you are certainly not alone and please dont' feel any shame.

Successful entrepreneurs, those who go on to succeed usually try a minimum of 7 businesses before they find the one that actually works out.

So you know... don't beat yourself up.

Good luck!

Katymac Wed 12-Oct-16 17:21:49

Thanks - that's a good idea

In my area there is very little so I need to think more widely I guess

Trying to knock my CV into shape

LadyLapsang Sun 23-Oct-16 20:43:37

OP, you would never get a guy with your qualifications and experience saying 30K was too high a salary!

Katymac Sun 23-Oct-16 21:23:16

Really - even with little experience other than S/E nursery manager?

Viviene Sun 23-Oct-16 21:37:41

There's no such thing as too high salary. It's like having too much money. Or too many shoes. ;-)

user1471134011 Mon 24-Oct-16 10:30:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katymac Wed 26-Oct-16 10:58:45

Thanks - I think sometimes you forget what you can do when you are self-employed

Flingmoo Wed 26-Oct-16 11:02:15

Some hiring managers prefer to hire people who are not 'institutionalised' by having worked in project management for decades. You may find that having experience in a completely different field is actually desirable and still has a lot of the same transferable skills. To them you will be bringing diversity and a fresh perspective to the team.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now