Help me decide! Part time vs term time

(6 Posts)
ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sun 02-Oct-16 08:32:57

I like my job but the nature of it is difficult for family life, I'm at my busiest during school holidays and if I paid for all childcare out of my wage I'd be left with about £60 a month. I've got ds1 at school and ds2 at a childminder 4 days per week. I've been considering leaving work to be a sahm until ds2 goes to school but I just feel so nervous about taking the plunge. I've never not worked since I was 15 (considerably older than that now) and the lack of financial independence makes me worry. I'd probably get an evening supermarket job or something so we're not paying out for childcare but there are too many variables! Help me decide/ list the pros and cons please!

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sun 02-Oct-16 08:34:55

Forgot to add, don't want to burn bridges with current department as they're very flexible which would be amazing in 4 years time when ds2 goes to school. I just don't know whether to leave and try to go back later or stick it out and miss this early time with him for the sake of being internal for term time jobs when they come up!

MargoReadbetter Sun 02-Oct-16 08:36:16

I don't understand very well. Are you doing 4 days a week now and thinking of changing to term time only?

MargoReadbetter Sun 02-Oct-16 08:39:14

Four years sounds like a long time to stick out with a job - given the current climate - just in the hope there will be term-time only opportunities and that they'll give a monkeys about your loyalty. Why not ask now about term-time only? Or go to 3 days a week and get more time with the kids.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sun 02-Oct-16 22:07:07

Thanks for the replies, been on the go all day and only just got a chance to check in! I'm 4 days a week now, most term time jobs I've seen are full time for the 40 weeks. I just don't know if it's worth it financially to go full time 40 weeks with the offset of 12 weeks off. My current role is linked to the school year but I'm at my busiest through the holidays which is awkward for holiday. I think I'll request to do 24 hours over 4 days so I can do 8-2 and see what they say. If they refuse I'll look at something else, or quit and find bar work of an evening! I just wish I had a crystal ball which will tell me what best to do!

ParadiseCity Sun 02-Oct-16 22:09:06

I'd rather do full time, term time, than part time all year round.

As it happens I work full time all year round so I get the worst of both worlds though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now