Talk

Advanced search

Going full-time after part-time. So sad...

(6 Posts)
albanyd Fri 09-Sep-16 10:59:36

I returned to work after mat leave in January when my baby boy was 8 months old. I was very, very lucky to be allowed to go back four days a week (as a secondary teacher in the middle of the academic year, that's rare!). I love having Fridays with my little one but we just can't sustain it financially; my credit is maxed out and we're skint just a week after payday.

My head tells me that full-time is a must, but my heart is saying the opposite. I know that so many mums work full-time and do an amazing job at work and with motherhood but I feel so sad that it might have to end soon. Will I be letting him down? Am I letting everyone down by racking up endless debt?

I just don't know what to do for the best.

greenfolder Fri 09-Sep-16 11:03:48

What is the difference? £100 per week take home? Would you have to pay childcare for the extra day? Do your figures carefully before deciding.

kittykittykitty5 Fri 09-Sep-16 17:03:14

Can you offer tutoring in your subject? Tutoring is £30 an hour minimum in my area. What subject do you teach?

BackforGood Fri 09-Sep-16 17:08:10

I too suggest you look really hard at the figures. By the time you add childcare onto your costs (+ travel if you have any length of commute), it really digs into the difference.
Remember you don't lose 1/5 of your pay by going down to 4 days because of how big the personal tax allowance is.

Personally, I think teaching FT and having a life is a real challenge, so would highly recommend trying to make the finances work (after all, it's only going to be for a couple of years), and tighten belts elsewhere.

albanyd Fri 09-Sep-16 18:36:16

I teach English and have done tutoring before which was effective. It's something I'm looking into. Thanks for your reply :-)

albanyd Fri 09-Sep-16 18:56:17

Thanks for all your replies.

I have looked at the figures closely- there's also our mortgage renewal to consider which is coming up.
I also worry about getting everything done around the house if I'm back for five days!

I hope to find a way to keep ot status... Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now