Talk

Advanced search

Help me ace this interview!

(6 Posts)
Justwanttoweeinpeace Wed 31-Aug-16 20:41:17

Had a very successful design industry job until I had DS. It all turned nasty when I got pregnant and ended up at tribunal - mat discrimination. Settled out of court about a year ago and haven't worked since.

I've been struggling as a SAHM, I just miss working really, so I sent out my CV in an attempt to get an internship so I can learn a more technical role in the same industry that I was in before. It's almost, but not quite, starting again.

Anyhow, I had a lovely email today from a company I'd really like to work for asking me to come and interview.

So now I'm filled with nerves about how to explain my career break, how I have gone from high up on one ladder to almost the bottom of another, how I left the last company and also a general lack of confidence.

Has anyone else navigated similar? How did you manage it?

TIA

freethebiscuit Wed 31-Aug-16 20:44:09

Sorry I don't have any gems to offer (just the response you were hoping for I bet) but just to say good luck you and hope it goes well. Scary times and I know the feeling well of lack of confidence going back to anything. Hopefully in a few months you'll be looking back on this time wondering why the nerves and enjoying your new role. All the best!

Justwanttoweeinpeace Thu 01-Sep-16 07:43:57

Thanks Free, hope you're right!

FrankUnderwoodsWife Thu 01-Sep-16 07:53:13

Go in there and be confident.
You know your stuff and the company would be lucky to have someone of your experience interning for them.

Make lots of eye contact, speak clearly and smile.

Sell your skills and don't apologise! So many women I meet do this and I want to shake them.

Also, do not go into why you left your last job. Just say you decided to leave after you had your baby, and that following a period at home, you're ready to return to the workplace.

Make sure you have questions prepped to ask them at the end of the interview. Remember you are also deciding whether they would be a good fit for you.

Finally, try and enjoy yourself. It really come across, and a recruiter will always hire someone who is enthusiastic and keen.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine.

FaithAscending Thu 01-Sep-16 07:55:35

Watch this amazing TED talk. It's 20 minutes long but well worth it. You can literally make yourself feel more confident! Hope it goes well for you.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 09-Sep-16 09:36:24

Twenty minutes early for interview so spreading out in the car, thanks for the TED link, really useful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now