Talk

Advanced search

Would you leave a permanent job for a temp one?

(12 Posts)
sparkle789 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:53:57

I've seen a job that would give me some good experience in what I want to do as it offers training. It's a few more hours a week but approx double the money. Only problem is it's a years contract. There is a possibility that they would renew but not guaranteed.

Would you leave a permanent job for a temp one? I'm not sure if it's a stupid decision even though I think I'd be happier in that role.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:56:04

Yes in the circs you describe, in a heartbeat.

SirChenjin Tue 23-Aug-16 16:57:37

Funnily enough, I've just been looking at a temp job wondering the same thing! This is a job that I've known was coming up and would absolutely love it - but it's a 23 month temp contract and I'd be giving up a permanent post with all my accrued benefits in a field which is very competitive and difficult to get back into.

On balance I think I've decided not to apply, but I'm not sure if I'm going to kick myself over the coming months. Will watch this thread with interest.

tribpot Tue 23-Aug-16 17:03:29

What's your situation, do you have dependents? If the answer is no then I would go for the opportunity in a heartbeat. Do you have accrued benefits like SirChenjin mentions, and how difficult is it likely to be to find another role afterwards? It sounds like it would be easier to find new work after this job with the training etc than currently?

I'm surprised they're offering training on a year's contract, normally for the shorter stuff employers want you already to have the relevant skills. Have they struggled to recruit to the post I wonder?

sparkle789 Tue 23-Aug-16 19:17:09

I don't have any benefits in my current job. It shouldn't be too difficult to find another role even if it's not my ideal job. I have 2 dc but if it came to it would would manage on dhs wage alone just be very tight. I think I'm going to go for it.

SirChenjin Tue 23-Aug-16 19:41:44

Good luck! 😊

tribpot Tue 23-Aug-16 19:58:57

Sounds like a really positive step!

wowbutter Tue 23-Aug-16 20:09:55

I recently have.

Left a permanent, nearly full time role for a part time temporary one. Happier. Without. A. Doubt.

RowenaDahl Wed 24-Aug-16 11:32:27

Temporary roles are a great way to pick up new skills. There is usually less competition as people are scared of taking the risk.

Best of luck.

pennygoodlife Thu 08-Sep-16 10:30:32

Yes go for it! You're heart sounds like
It's made the mov.
Sometimes you need to do a leap
Of faith. I left a perm job for a 6 months contract - which last for years best job I ever had. Good luck

MunchCrunch01 Thu 08-Sep-16 11:22:54

I've left permanent jobs for contract jobs before, never ever looked back. Left a very dull perm job and 3+ years later I've not been out of work: I'm clearly the second earner though, and although my money is very handy, we'd be able to cover the mortgage and eat value beans on DH's salary so I'm lucky that I had backup.

Boogers Thu 08-Sep-16 11:29:13

Yes, do it! I've done it twice out of necessity for saving my sanity and I don't regret it either time. I'm still a temp.

Do you have any experience of the agency itself? Is it a good agency with good contacts and a good reputation for paying workers on time and not quibbling about leave or holiday/bank holiday pay? If the job itself will give you valuable work experience then I'd say go for it, and enjoy the extra income! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now