Applying for new jobs on mat leave

(2 Posts)
Stroan Thu 11-Aug-16 12:23:52

I'm due to return to work in October but will be using holidays to stay off until January. In my absence, they've restructured the department and my role has become far more junior. They've also hinted that flexible working (I've asked to go back 4 days a week) will not be possible.

There are never any part time roles advertised in my industry, however there have been quite a few lately which would potentially offer a better balance. They are brand new roles and I may be able to negotiate part time. Should I be up front about this in the application process? I don't want to waste my time or their time if they won't even consider it.

Also, should I be open about the fact that I'm currently on Mat leave?

Tindel Wed 17-Aug-16 05:44:52

I go back to work in a few weeks and I've been applying for more flexible jobs - I have an interview today, in fact! I haven't mentioned I'm on mat leave, but it's on my LinkedIn profile. I would rather impress them with my ability to do the job and then explain why I'm changing jobs, rather than talk about my personal circumstances upfront. I think it looks better to employers if you focus on the job rather than the hours, if that makes sense. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now