Can anyone tell me about being a Speech and Language Therapy Assistant please?

(4 Posts)
SlinkyB Mon 18-Jul-16 13:12:43

Hi there

I'm currently a SAHM to a 2.5 and 5.5 Yr old . Before giving up work, I'd always worked in admin/offices. I only have 4 GCSE's grace A-C, and an NVQ L2 in Business Administration, so know I'm under educated wrt getting on a SLT course.

I've just been thinking since I've had kids that I'm definitely more of a people person, enjoy helping others, and am looking for a career to work towards (at the grand old age of 35).

Do you think I could get a SLTA job part-time and would it work with school aged children? Obviously this would depend on what setting I was in; do you get to choose?

I've had a quick browse on the NHS website, but would love to hear from people actually doing the job right now, especially if you have young children.

Many thanks.

OP’s posts: |
SlinkyB Mon 18-Jul-16 19:55:37

Bump.

OP’s posts: |
JenniferYellowHat1980 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:28:26

I'm about to start doing something similar and although I am postgraduate educated in my previous field, the fact that I am doing access to science is important as NVQ 3 was one of the essential criteria. I'm doing mine via distance learning centre. It costs just over £1k all in and is tough because I'm aiming for distinctions but I'm enjoying it.

lovemelovemyshoes Sun 11-Sep-16 11:53:13

Hi SlinkyB

Just wondered if you'd got any further in your search for information on slt careers?

I have posted a similar thread today, my son has sen in school and it's made me think similar to you.

Sorry have no real advice but if I come across anything that might help I'll post.

Do you want to work with children or adults? I guess a good start might be a school job working around your children. I am looking into this, perhaps learning support assistant.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in