Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me about being a Speech and Language Therapy Assistant please?

(4 Posts)
SlinkyB Mon 18-Jul-16 13:12:43

Hi there

I'm currently a SAHM to a 2.5 and 5.5 Yr old . Before giving up work, I'd always worked in admin/offices. I only have 4 GCSE's grace A-C, and an NVQ L2 in Business Administration, so know I'm under educated wrt getting on a SLT course.

I've just been thinking since I've had kids that I'm definitely more of a people person, enjoy helping others, and am looking for a career to work towards (at the grand old age of 35).

Do you think I could get a SLTA job part-time and would it work with school aged children? Obviously this would depend on what setting I was in; do you get to choose?

I've had a quick browse on the NHS website, but would love to hear from people actually doing the job right now, especially if you have young children.

Many thanks.

SlinkyB Mon 18-Jul-16 19:55:37

Bump.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:28:26

I'm about to start doing something similar and although I am postgraduate educated in my previous field, the fact that I am doing access to science is important as NVQ 3 was one of the essential criteria. I'm doing mine via distance learning centre. It costs just over £1k all in and is tough because I'm aiming for distinctions but I'm enjoying it.

lovemelovemyshoes Sun 11-Sep-16 11:53:13

Hi SlinkyB

Just wondered if you'd got any further in your search for information on slt careers?

I have posted a similar thread today, my son has sen in school and it's made me think similar to you.

Sorry have no real advice but if I come across anything that might help I'll post.

Do you want to work with children or adults? I guess a good start might be a school job working around your children. I am looking into this, perhaps learning support assistant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now