Talk

Advanced search

CVs - how many pages these days?

(11 Posts)
yellowbirdie Wed 06-Jul-16 22:41:09

I've started job hunting after a 7 year break. I have 16 years work experience but how many pages should that translate into a CV? Where's the best place to find an example of a modern CV layout? Thanks!

harrowgreen Thu 07-Jul-16 06:14:50

No more than two sides.

isthistoonosy Thu 07-Jul-16 06:17:06

Two sides in my industry as well regardless of number of yrs experience.

sashh Thu 07-Jul-16 06:24:49

2 pages

ShanghaiDiva Thu 07-Jul-16 06:46:03

was looking at this for dh recently - 2 pages. He has over 27 years' experience and gave more detailed info only on his current and previous job and only included his highest qualification and professional memberships.

pitterpatterrain Thu 07-Jul-16 06:58:40

Look at MBA school examples for format - they typically have reasonable formats that are pretty clear and brief

Would agree no more than 2

yellowbirdie Thu 07-Jul-16 11:10:11

Thank you. I have a bit of trimming to do!! Are skills based CVs the way to go now?

pitterpatterrain Thu 07-Jul-16 11:36:59

Not sure what you mean by skills based

I would typically expect a list of roles and key things done / achieved / demonstrated at each followed by education and other professional skills highlights (language, technical etc)

weebarra Thu 07-Jul-16 11:41:57

Yes, as a careers adviser I would suggest that if you have been out of the workplace for a while, skills based is the way to go.

isthistoonosy Thu 07-Jul-16 11:45:28

Mines;

Personal details inc email (nothing daft like bigboobs32G@.....)

Experience - Job roles and key duties (I only have details for last three roles, don't list any jobs not related to my current profession but explain any other gaps such as mat leave in my cover letter)

Highest and relevant qualifications and courses

Professional memberships

Other info: Languages, driving, computer programs (not basics like word, outlook etc) etc

Refs details

JamieVardysParty Thu 07-Jul-16 12:42:23

I work in HR/Recruitment. Mine is a page but I only have about 5 years experience.

My name and contact details are my header. Most recent job has a number of bullet points with a brief intro.

I always advocate the idea of stating a skill and then showing why it is important - ie I developed and implemented a new business development system which was rolled out across the organisation. This generated 20% more new business and 15% repeat business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now