Sharing maternity leave with DH

(5 Posts)
Horseshoe1 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:50:08

Hi guys, this is less about the financial/legal elements and really about what is practically possible.

My DH and I run a business together so we have a fair amount of flexibility in how we plan for maternity leave. Our first child is due in November and I was planning to take 3-6 months off completely and take on a new member of staff to cover. Yesterday DH said he would like to share some of that time off, rather than just take 2 weeks paternity leave ie. Sometimes I could go into work and he'd stay home to look after the baby.

I'm all in favour of equality and actually love that he wants to do this - but I also wanted other mums' input. At what point would it be feasible for me to leave the baby with its dad if I am (hopefully) breastfeeding but happy to express (if all goes to plan)? I'm guessing I'll need at least 6 weeks just to recover from the birth, get feeding sorted and get my head around things, but after that would it be ok to leave the baby with DH while I go to work? Or does the baby really need its mum for first 3-6 months?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
tootsietoo Tue 05-Jul-16 22:50:10

Hello. In terms of practicality, yes even if you are breastfeeding you should be able to express enough to leave your baby for a working day, about 8 hours. Mine are 8 and 9 now so memories are fuzzy! And I did do a full maternity leave and b/f for 6 months. but I do remember going out for 11 hours when DD1 was 11 weeks. It was a long time! My boobs were like rocks and DH didn't enjoy it. But if you are organised and do it regularly it would be very doable. It's a great idea to share your leave, it will mean you don't get entrenched into your roles with you ending up doing all the domestic work.

Horseshoe1 Wed 06-Jul-16 07:52:03

Thank you, so helpful! Anyone else do something similar?

Popskipiekin Wed 06-Jul-16 08:11:02

Just chipping in to say it would be a good idea to regularly give your baby a bottle early on to make sure s/he doesn't refuse at the point you want to do a day at work and you have anxious time worrying whether baby is eating or not. We gave a bottle of expressed milk most days after the first couple of weeks for this reason. But I expect once a week would be enough - though it's always nice for DH/a grandparent to give a bottle.

Horseshoe1 Wed 06-Jul-16 09:45:11

Good idea! We'll try and use the bottle from early on. Really appreciate the thoughts....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in