Talk

Advanced search

Really would love to apply for this job, but missing one qualification..

(36 Posts)
Teddy1970 Tue 28-Jun-16 16:30:54

There's a job I'd love to apply for, it's perfect in every way, not too far to commute, it fits around my children's school and nursery, there's just one problem, one of the qualifications they want is Maths GCSE grade C or above, now mine is grade E ( I was always better at English and Arty stuff!) Do you think I should still apply, or will they take one look at my application and chuck it in the bin? I do have the other qualifications and experience they need to do the job, just not that one! Thanks in advance.

purplemunkey Tue 28-Jun-16 16:43:59

Apply anyway. Highlight your experience and suitability for the role in the covering letter/supporting statement/application email and don't even mention the GCSE Maths. If you get to interview stage you van address it if asked.

The worst that can happen is you get no response from your application so nothing to lose really! Good luck.

oldlaundbooth Tue 28-Jun-16 16:45:27

Apply, don't even mention it, focus on other stuff.

DramaAlpaca Tue 28-Jun-16 16:50:44

I agree, apply anyway & as others say above, highlight how well your other experience & qualifications fit the job spec.

At interview you can always talk about how you use maths in your daily life and demonstrate how you don't have any difficulties with practical day to day maths, which is probably all they are looking for.

Best of luck!

thanksamillion Tue 28-Jun-16 17:01:02

It depends what the job is and whether this has any bearing on it - eg some child care qualifications only count for a lower level if you don't also have the GCSE. If they need someone with the higher level then it does matter. If it's just that it's a standard requirement then your other attributes might outweigh this.

You could also look into re-taking it and then you would be able to say that you were in the process of getting it. Lots of jobs do require it.

Teddy1970 Tue 28-Jun-16 17:18:58

Thank you everyone, you've been really helpful!

InternationalHouseofToast Tue 28-Jun-16 17:25:16

sorry but I wouldn't apply. They will get check what maths grade you got, as it's an easy one to check on the form and it's an easy one to discard candidates on if they don't meet the grade.

Weed out anyone without the required qualifications then look if they have the qualities we're looking for.

Alternatively call them up and ask them what they expect the Grade C maths to give them, and show how you have otherwise gained this experience e.g. calculating a till float.

Teddy1970 Tue 28-Jun-16 19:21:54

Thank you, yes you have to declare what qualifications you have on the online application form and I've certainly no intention of lying, so if I make it to the interview stage then maybe all is not lost as they would've seen my grades already iyswim?

Oblomov16 Tue 28-Jun-16 21:19:24

No, I wouldn't apply. GCSE pass in maths is a basic requirement for many, most jobs. I would focus on trying to get it.

absolutelynotfabulous Tue 28-Jun-16 21:23:56

I think I'd apply anyway. There are many people without Gcse/O level maths with successful careers.

If they discount you, so be it. Work towards getting it anyway probably a good career move.

OutsiderInTheGarden Tue 28-Jun-16 21:26:27

OP I'm going to say apply! The last 3 jobs I did all asked for a graduate in the job advert. I'm not a graduate; I dropped out of uni 2 years in. I also didn't lie on my CV or embellish it in any way. So it might feel like a long shot, but just occassionally an organisation will look beyond something like this if you're a great candidate in every other way. Good luck!

Permanentlyexhausted Tue 28-Jun-16 21:48:06

Apply and DO address the fact that you don't have the GCSE maths. Say that unfortunately you don't have it but you are considering taking an evening course to gain it. But you need to be prepared to follow through on that.

If I were you, I would look into getting the qualification. Most jobs ask for it as standard so it would make life easier for you.

I interview candidates as part of my job. I have a matrix where I mark applications against the criteria we have specified on the job advert. You would get marked down for not having the qualification but get a plus for addressing it and explaining what you'd do about it. If you just brushed over it you'd simply get marked down.

EBearhug Tue 28-Jun-16 21:52:50

The only thing you can absolutely guarantee is that if you don't apply, you won't get it.

It's probably worth considering doing GCSE maths at evening class - there's no employer going to complain about you getting a better qualification.

Teddy1970 Tue 28-Jun-16 23:08:51

Thanks everyone, there's some really good advice on here, I'll think I'll give it a go and if I'm lucky enough to get an interview I will address the problem head on..Thanks again.

Carolhh Thu 30-Jun-16 18:24:25

Actually there are some level two courses with learn direct for adults they are really good
I highly recommend!!
It works as an equivalent to GCSE grade c and it's not difficult at this level
Employers will see that you have the skills
Take the course hope it works out for you x

Carolhh Thu 30-Jun-16 18:25:13

The courses are in literacy and numeracy
They also have IT

SitsOnFence Thu 30-Jun-16 18:36:41

So long as the Maths GCSE is not completely central to the role, go for it! I say that as someone who recruits about 4 people per year.

Also, have a look at this article. It's American, but translates to the UK, I think.

SitsOnFence Thu 30-Jun-16 18:39:18

By the way, some of the best people I have employed haven't met all the recruitment criteria. What they have had is something particularly exciting or relevant that the other candidates lacked, that made it worth taking a chance and, in some cases, supporting them to update their experience/take on a more senior role.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Thu 30-Jun-16 18:57:06

Tbh I would get registered on an evening course right now, before the application deadline. Then you can apply and put "Maths GCSE Grade E (2007 - currently studying to repeat to get C or better, expected 2017)" on the forms.

Even if you can't register right now due to wrong time of year you could buy a couple of bitesize teach-yourself books or a mathletics subscription and once you have looked at them for 30 mins the above statement is not a lie.

darceybussell Thu 30-Jun-16 20:33:07

OP, this is what Sheryl Sandberg is talking about when she says women don't put themselves forward. Research shows that a woman won't apply for a job unless she meets every single one of the criteria whereas a man will apply even if he only meets half of it. Get your bloody application form in, what's the worst that happens - they say no and you're in no worse position than you are now.

Go for it, you'll be brilliant! Good luck!

Teddy1970 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:58:00

Thank you everyone, you've been very kind and helpful, I don't thinks Maths is central to the role, it helps I think. You've all given me the confidence to go for it!

AliceInHinterland Fri 01-Jul-16 22:01:56

Fantastic - don't make a big deal of it but have an answer in case they do - good luck!

Teddy1970 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:03:16

MustStop That's a really good idea, I will use that thanks! and SitsOn that's good to know that you look beyond qualifications on paper, and I will investigate the course Carol! Cheers people!

Teddy1970 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:05:30

Thank you Alice I will!

Waterlemon Fri 01-Jul-16 22:08:56

If it is a "required" qualification fir the role, the employer may be willing to for you to gain the qualification "on the job" or in a certain time frame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now