Improving ICT

(4 Posts)
GettinTrimmer Tue 21-Jun-16 17:22:05

I hope someone can advise me here - I need to improve my knowledge with ICT, I was thinking of doing the ECDL or I've just seen an ad for doing an IGCSE in ICT - has anybody done either of these qualifications?

I want to make myself more employable in an admin role. I have a good working knowledge of Word, but Excel is very rusty.

Thanks!

FinnMcCool Tue 21-Jun-16 20:39:16

I work in IT. I have not done either of those qualifications.
But if you are hoping for an admin office job using a PC, rather than trying to get a job in an IT support role, then the ECDL is more suited to you.

SherryRB Wed 22-Jun-16 13:47:36

there are some fab online resources - maybe one of these might help. I don't have connections with any of them - it's one of the chapters in my back to work ebook

www.lynda.com/ for technology, creative and business skills
www.futurelearn.com/ free online courses
www.coursera.org/ courses from top universities
www.edx.org/ free online courses
www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses from The Open University
www.udacity.com/ tech skills from Silicon Valley companies
www.udemy.com/ more than 40,000 online skills courses

MrsConnelly Wed 22-Jun-16 14:19:07

I did the ECDL Essentials and ECDL Extra courses a couple of years ago. The ECDL Extra course covered Excel, Powerpoint and Word.

I did the course because I was, and still am, looking for work and thought it would be a good thing to have on my CV. One of my local councils actively seeks it as a qualification to "prove" that you can use a computer/computer packages.

The only thing I would say is that because I haven't managed to find a job I've since forgotten pretty much everything I (re-)learnt on Excel!

I think there are some providers who are offering free online courses for this such as

www.vision2learn.net/courses

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now