Talk

Advanced search

Temporary/bank teacher

(11 Posts)
Villagebike3 Tue 07-Jun-16 18:03:26

I'm looking at going back to work and retraining. Specifically my PGCE as a primary teacher. However, as my children are still quite young, I wanted to look for temporary/bank positions initially. Does anyone know whether there is a great need for temp teachers?

pieceofpurplesky Tue 07-Jun-16 18:23:24

Do you already have a pgce or is this what you are retraining for?

CremeEggThief Tue 07-Jun-16 18:24:47

You mean supply teachers. Vastly depends on your area and subject.

PotteringAlong Tue 07-Jun-16 18:28:13

Supply teachers? I don't think you will be able to complete your nqt year like this (you need to complete your nqt year to fully qualify - it's not just a pgce) but I might be wrong.

CremeEggThief Tue 07-Jun-16 18:36:51

You're allowed to do supply for a certain amount of time, before you have to do your NQT year. It used to be 16 months from your first supply day, but it's longer now; maybe 3 years.

Villagebike3 Tue 07-Jun-16 18:54:23

Thanks for that. Yes, my retraining is my PGCE. I didn't know you couldn't be a supply teacher without your NQT year. I would be looking for primary age level in the East Sussex or Kent area.

I am worried that whilst my children are young I won't be able to give all the planning time and other paper work as well as teaching time. That is why I wanted to consider supply so ha to would follow another teachers plan.

Am I being realistic?

PotteringAlong Tue 07-Jun-16 18:58:05

The nqt year is part of qualifying for a teacher. If you don't do it you will not be a qualified teacher. You can do it part time but you will need an actual job to qualify.

If you just want to follow someone else's plans then you don't want to be a teacher - you just want a job in a school you perceive to be convenient. A cover superivisor might be much more your thing: have you looked into that?

PotteringAlong Tue 07-Jun-16 19:00:40

newteachers.tes.co.uk/news/guide-new-induction-rules/46335

The link is here. It is now 5 years from pgce to complete your induction year. After that your pgce runs out and, if you wanted to fully qualify as a teacher, you would need to start your training again.

mangocoveredlamb Tue 07-Jun-16 19:38:26

This link (from the tes also, published 2013) suggests that there is no "expiration" of QTS and you can do it whenever (assuming you can get a job after a long break!)

www.tes.com/news/blog/i-got-qts-ages-ago-have-never-done-my-induction-year-can-i-still-apply-jobs-a-nqt

pieceofpurplesky Tue 07-Jun-16 19:41:12

You do also realise how hard you will have to work during your PGCE?

fruitpastille Tue 07-Jun-16 19:47:45

I don't think supply teachers are used as much these days as they are expensive. Cover is often managed in school with teaching assistants etc if it's short term. If it's long term you will still have to do all the planning and marking anyway.

Also you may find it challenging if you are not experienced managing behaviour.

How are you going to manage the pgce? There is a lot of planning, essays and so on, it can be quite intense.

You could wait till your kids are older but they still make a lot of demand on your time and you have less of the evening to yourself to get things done.

Sorry to be negative!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now