Civil service interview HELP!

(33 Posts)
mumznet Tue 07-Jun-16 07:38:23

Hello
I have a AO grade civil service interview it's in the Insolvency service
It says it's for 45 minutes any idea what it is like and should I expect a test in the 45 minutes?? It seems quite long to the usual interviews I've had.......please advise how I can prepare
Thank you

Elizabethreallyismissing Tue 07-Jun-16 07:46:33

It should be all competence based! So make sure you can. talk about the examples you used on your application p!us another example!e for each competence. They will probably ask you about examples of when things didn't go so well so making decisions with limited information or difficult people etc Good luck!

Dozer Tue 07-Jun-16 07:48:34

You will need to give good examples of competencies: these will have been stated in the job ads and probably a published list of them. Focus on what you personally did and how, and the result of your action (rather than just describing the situation).

IrenetheQuaint Tue 07-Jun-16 07:53:18

Google STAR format for your answers and look through the Civil Service competency framework to see what they expect.

mumznet Tue 07-Jun-16 10:36:44

Thanks guys for your replies smile

The two competencies listed are: managing a quality service and delivering at pace?
How can it be 45 minutes though for these two ? How may questions do they usually ask??

Dozer Tue 07-Jun-16 11:38:17

Look up the competency framework: there will be sub competencies under each of those. They will ask you for examples of a number of things.

mumznet Tue 07-Jun-16 12:20:32

Okay thank you
It' says scheduled for 1st interview does this mean there will be further interviews.??

Dozer Tue 07-Jun-16 14:04:44

That information should have been provided in the info for applicants.

mumznet Tue 07-Jun-16 20:53:55

hmmm it doesnt mention anything about further interviews....

thank you for your help
take care

Feckthefeckoff Tue 07-Jun-16 20:58:44

Also think with your examples for the competencies about what you would do differently next time. Use 'I' in your examples not 'we'. Also have an answer to what you think your strengths and weaknesses are, and why. Good luck

MinnowAndTheBear Tue 07-Jun-16 21:09:47

My entire interview was "can you give us an example of a time when..." style questions. They have a set list of questions to ask and will not deviate from this list, to ask about your CV etc.

AnneElliott Tue 07-Jun-16 21:42:22

They will probably have 2 questions under each competency and then some follow ups depending on your answers.

With delivering at pace, we often ask about competing priorities and how you decide which to prioritise.

Good luck

Feckthefeckoff Wed 08-Jun-16 21:02:26

Do let us know how you get on OP.

FireandBrimstone Wed 08-Jun-16 21:14:52

For competency interviews think STAR - Situation, Task, Action, Result. For each competency required, think of an example based on describing these four stages.
Tuck up your sleeve a couple of things in case they ask supplementary questions e.g what did you learn about yourself when this happened? What might you do differently?
Good luck!

Effendi Thu 09-Jun-16 03:53:12

I had a civil service interview in February, it was exactly like other PPs describe....tell us about a time when...

None of the usual strengths and weaknesses, why do you want to leave your current role etc. It was a panel and they all took a turn.

I had 5 or 6 questions I think. I prepared like mad beforehand and wrote loads of notes so I'd have plenty of examples.
Even if the outcome of the situation wasn't great they want to hear what you learnt from it and what you would do differently in future.

And yes to 'I' not 'we'.

mumznet Thu 09-Jun-16 10:13:29

Hi

Thank you for your reply...

Do you remember any of the questions you had? Everyone has said competency based but if you have a few examples that will help me?

Did you get the job I forgot to ask?

bye

MinnowAndTheBear Thu 09-Jun-16 14:22:17

Some of mine were to describe how I have worked as part of a team, and give an example of coping with a challenge.

Effendi Thu 09-Jun-16 16:17:23

Yes I got the job!
Questions like Minnow says above.
Also, tell us about a time when you worked to a target, and a time when you dealt with conflict.

mumznet Thu 09-Jun-16 21:22:12

thanks everyone
I will update you soon x

mumznet Thu 16-Jun-16 12:14:01

Had my interview it was about 20 min long
Two competency questions with a few prompts
It was quite straight forward really
I will find out end of Jun/early July
Does anyone know how long the checks take if I get the offer??

Thanks

SherryRB Thu 16-Jun-16 14:02:33

Glad the interview was straightforward. Hope you get the offer. With the checks, if they're based on references, to a certain extent, it may depend on how quickly your referees respond to the request.

Grantbeth1 Thu 07-Jul-16 14:53:04

What questions did they ask you? It says my interview is 20 mins long too.

Grantbeth1 Thu 07-Jul-16 14:54:20

What two questions did they ask you? It says my interview is 20 mins long too.

mumznet Thu 07-Jul-16 15:26:23

Hi
They asked me give an example of delivering at pace and give an example of managing a quality service and then they asked me what the outcome was

You have to look at the competencies in the job advert

Grantbeth1 Thu 07-Jul-16 19:19:12

Thanks. Yeah Iv got the competencies just didn't really know how to prepare for them! Interview in Cardiff by any chance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now