Talk

Advanced search

job hunting when pregnant

(4 Posts)
CinderellaFant Tue 24-May-16 16:39:27

I'm a SAHM, and have been since my youngest was born. My plan was to start work again in September, part time when my DD starts school. However I've just found out I'm pregnant, by my dates I'll be due the end of January. I'm delighted but wondering will I still be able to get a job? As much as I love staying at home with the kids, I was looking forward to getting some adult conversation and getting out of the house and regaining a bit of my identity- not just mummy! And also looking forward to having a bit of spare income- living on DH's wage means we can't have holidays etc. But I really can't see any employers taking me on when I will be going off on maternity leave a few months later.

HootyMc0wlFace Tue 24-May-16 17:02:36

Look for fixed term contracts, temp work or be a contractor. It's difficult to give specific advice as we don't know what you did before and where your skills lie. My company did actually hire someone who was 4 months pregnant, but they were desperate for someone with her skills and she didn't qualify for maternity pay.

jclm Tue 24-May-16 23:49:58

Well apply anyway and see if they hire you. You could also work voluntary or do a course in the mean time. Maybe you need some careers advice? They offer this for free x

LilianSmith Wed 25-May-16 15:33:11

I'm SAHM too and not pregnant with my second yet, but we're working on it, still I like to work and my life is not full without it. So I'm making my own e-commerce site at the moment with this website builder: www.templatemonster.com/moto-cms-3-templates.php, I think this is the best variant for me in this situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now