Talk

Advanced search

advice on how to move forwards

(6 Posts)
mrgrouper Sat 14-May-16 09:57:49

I have a medical degree from Cambridge but was sacked in a disability discrimination case which I won. However after that I could not return to medicine as I hated my job and never wanted to train as a doctor in the first place, I was pushed into it by my parents. I wanted to learn physics.
Over the last 4 years I have set up a commercial cleaning company. Things were going really well and I was earning good money, before splitting from my husband due to domestic abuse and becoming a single mum to a 4 year old. Now I cannot do early morning shifts, so one by one lost my customers. The final nail in the coffin for my cleaning business was when my ex took me to court, making all types of false allegations about me (I was allegedly on drugs, violent, learning difficulties, dog poo all over my house). I was terrified the courts would take my son off me, but they saw through the lies and Cafcass fully exonerated me. However I was too stressed to continue.
I do not know what my next step will be. I could do a physics degree, but would need financial help off my dad for the tuition fees. It would be a very tough option.
I have depression at the moment, exhaustion from the fear of thinking I was losing my son.
Can anyone advise me how to move forwards? I do not want a job where there is a lot of dealing with people as I am not good at that due to Asperger's.
I just feel like a total failure.

jclm Sun 22-May-16 17:24:28

You need some good careers advice!! Have you been to the careers service? They do free careers advice which is really good. I had a free hour session a while back and it was amazing.

What career path are you thinking about with physics? Could you possibly start an apprenticeship or college course? That would be the cheaper option, to work from the bottom up. There are many solitary occupations in the construction trade but not sure about physics, I'm sure the careers service can advise.

SherryRB Mon 23-May-16 07:58:05

What is it that appeals to you about physics? What do you like about it? Do you have a career path in mind i.e. where do you want it to take you? Like jclm suggests, the careers service could be a great place to start.

Anjali5 Sat 28-May-16 09:48:09

Hi,
DFE is offering bursaries to become a physics teacher. With your doctors degree you can do a Subject knowledge enhancement (SKE)course for one month (free) at Uni and then enroll on the PGCE course. Many people have done this. I am doing my PGCE chem at the minute and there is no Physics teacher in the entire uni. I am divorced too and been through the same stuff you have been through. SKE will help you to analyse whether you really like physics or not.
I hope this help.
x
Gita

mrgrouper Sun 29-May-16 11:13:59

I have applied for teacher training now Anjali5 I have applied for School Direct route in biology or chemistry. I have work experience not next week but the one after. I am pretty nervous as this is the school that MAY take me on, so going to have to make a good impression.
My depression has massively lifted now. I am utterly disgusted with my ex. I met him when very vulnerable, under a Section of the MHA and he just took advantage. Him and his disgusting family make me physically sick.

Anjali5 Sun 29-May-16 13:12:34

I am glad you are progressing and feeling better. Well done. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now