Writing style - things have moved on!

(2 Posts)
Canklesofglitter Thu 12-May-16 16:59:25

I returned to the workplace after an eight year career break just under three years ago. I changed sector (healthcare to voluntary sector) and went back in a relatively junior role. I've just had my fifth promotion since returning and am slowly inching my way back to senior management.

I recently drafted something for a Board Exec and got the feedback that, although the content was fine, the document was too long (briefing note - two pages) and too "public sector" in style.

I think I need to change my writing style and catch up with way things are written now.

Can anyone recommend anything I can read which might help?

pippistrelle Fri 13-May-16 15:22:14

Well, I think it's a bit of a leap to assume that writing styles have moved on. That's not really what the feedback you've received says: just that what you provided wasn't right for this occasion. Although, frankly, describing a piece of writing as 'too public sector' is ridiculous, as it means nothing and provides no indication of how they would like things written : somebody needs to use their words a bit more.

Is there someone (a PA or coordinator maybe?) you can approach to ask for an example of a paper whose style the Board Executive liked? You could then use that as a model.

And congratulations on your obviously very successful return to the world of work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now