Advanced search

What job can I do?

(19 Posts)
Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 03:01:24

I'm in my fifties and have worked as a secretary/typist up to now.

I'm currently struggling with depression and anxiety and don't deal well with other people/the public or answering the phone. I need to find a job, but don't know what to do.

I can't stand or walk for long, as I have problems with my foot etc. My hands are becoming slightly arthritic, so I don't want to type any longer.

I honestly don't know what I could do. I've thought about childcare, but I struggle with emetophobia, so not sure that's a good idea. I don't like driving far.

I need a more or less guaranteed income, as I'm a single parent.

Thanks for any suggestions.

OP’s posts: |
MattDillonsPants Mon 11-Apr-16 08:26:02

How are you managing financially at the moment OP? Are you getting any benefits?

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 08:36:09

I've been off sick and receiving ESA, but failed the work capability assessment last week.

OP’s posts: |
MattDillonsPants Mon 11-Apr-16 08:37:33

Have you thought about appealing?

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 08:39:16

I was planning to, but not sure I can face it. And in the meantime I need money to live off and I don't want to jump through the job centre's hoops, it'd be less stressful to try and find a job myself.

OP’s posts: |
DitheringDiva Mon 11-Apr-16 12:35:20

could you manage checkout work in a supermarket?

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 13:07:26

No because I'd have to talk to people and handle money (fear of germs).

OP’s posts: |
MattDillonsPants Mon 11-Apr-16 13:13:12

There's very little you can do which will not involve talking to people, handling money or stationary or children OP. I think you need to see your GP did you manage in an office with the germ issue?

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 13:39:33

I didn't manage .. It was a nightmare and I was constantly stressed and eventually left after having a breakdown.

Unfortunately it seems that, having failed my work capability assessment, seeing the doctor won't help with ESA. I've already seen him for a change in medication, as my current anti depressants don't seem to help anymore.

OP’s posts: |
MattDillonsPants Mon 11-Apr-16 13:52:47

You need to appeal. That's really the only option OP. Have you enquired about the protocol with that?

lapcat Mon 11-Apr-16 13:52:57

I'm sure you will find something. What about driving jobs or sitting down jobs like proof reading or back room secretarial roles like filing? Could you start your own online business?

foolonthehill Mon 11-Apr-16 13:59:34

Could you iron for an ironing company?...would be dropped to you by one individual, at your home, you could vary your position sit/stand and iron for only as long as you can manage at a time. Washing is clean (you could even iron for a professional laundry service if you prefer).

Home based PA ?

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 15:45:40

I don't iron much due to pain in my hands and shoulder.

I'm too anxious to drive.

I've been working as a self employed PA for several years, but I find filling in tax forms stressful, I don't earn enough to live off, people promise work then let me down or don't pay and need chasing up .. it's very stressful and doesn't pay well.

I'm looking into how to appeal, but I have to await the letter with the decision first.

OP’s posts: |
Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 16:00:52

I don't have any supporting evidence, as I haven't been at the gp surgery long and I don't tell my gp much anyway, just that I'm down and suffering with anxiety. They never ask anything either. I can't see them writing any documents to support my case. I'm waiting for counselling and physiotherapy for other complaints ...

OP’s posts: |
Maverick66 Mon 11-Apr-16 16:05:10

You need to go somewhere like Citizens Advice. I appreciate you have problems talking to people but perhaps you could phone them they will sympathetic to your plight and advise you what the way forward is.thanks

Hatefeelingdown Mon 11-Apr-16 16:11:03

Thanks, I will try contacting them. Maybe I can email them.

OP’s posts: |
jclm Tue 19-Apr-16 22:29:41

Have you got any qualifications? You could see a careers advisor (or phone them for some advice), they are really great. In the mean time can you read any careers books from the library to give you any ideas. Hugs x

Movingonmymind Wed 20-Apr-16 16:18:30

Important to be proactive i think, however hard, still need to pay the bills. Worth reconsidering supermarket checkout- vast majority would be putting in their own card, v few use cash! And v little conversation.

dontwantosay Sat 14-May-16 01:27:30

I think You need CAB advise . You should have evidence of your mental health issues in your medical history from previous G.P practice and current one if you go to medication reviews etc . Regarding the walking and standing , shoulders and hands . If you have been to specialists ( for diagnosis and treatments ) you should have evidence . If you haven't yet ( because your anxiety around people etc ) you should ask for referrals to specialists ( not just physio) so they can diagnose properly and provide treatment options . Medication may help with pain or they can arrangr shoulder injections etc once you have a proper diagnosis for everything . If your physical issues have not been dealt properly yet you could do a new ESA as they would not have take then into account so it would be class as worsening condition and you should be able to get sick notes while you get specialist advise and treatment choices for these issues . You could try to work from home doing Transcription but It is worth doing something about your physical issues though .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in