Talk

Advanced search

Would like to retrain as a counsellor - does anyone have any advice please?

(8 Posts)
majorcrowdpleaser Thu 03-Mar-16 14:23:01

So, I am 43 and have been a SAHM for the last 8 years.

Although I have completely lost my confidence having been at home for so long, I really would love to return to work. However, I have no desire to return to the mundane world of office administration, which I did in my former life!

I would really love to retrain as a counsellor and wonder if anyone can give me some advise ie:- does it cost a lot to train, where did you train, is it a competitive 'industry' etc.

Also am I too old to retrain for a completely new career?

JenniferYellowHat1980 Thu 03-Mar-16 20:42:12

In my area, Cruse and a local mental health charity are offering free training for volunteers.

Sleepingtom Mon 07-Mar-16 23:48:49

Why don't you start off doing the level 2 counselling skills course at an FE college and see how you get on? Counsellor friends of mine say it is great, and useful even if you don't go on to be a counsellor. Round here they cost about £500.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Tue 08-Mar-16 00:05:30

I'd say don't bother. I did the level 2 & 3, and then basically got told by my lecturer that if it were her, she would choose something else as there are just no jobs. She took the class and worked part time in the local library, in transpired. And she was very successful.

pigeonpoo Tue 08-Mar-16 00:19:38

I think it pays as an extra freelance job but getting it as a full time primary career is pretty hard - you'd need a lot of experience I'd have thought to get a job with a large organisation and there are probably lots of qualified people with lots of experience already

littlejo67 Mon 14-Mar-16 01:15:27

I did a level 3 then Level 4 diploma, then counselling studies degree. You only need the level 4 to become qualified. Look up CPCAB courses . Worked for a charity as a counsellor to get my hours in for the qualification.
I am now an accredited member of BACP and work as a Psychological Therapist in a IAPT service (primary care). I work in different GP surgeries.

It will cost you about £2000 to get the qualification and extra for personal counselling and Clinical Supervision. My voluntary place gave me free Supervision and The personal therapy was at a reduced cost as I was a student.

cockneydad Wed 30-Mar-16 23:54:06

I am also thinking of retraining as counsellor/psychotherapist, would like to others experiences. I currently work for a scientific consultancy, and although the pay isn't bad, it is completely soulless and the work has become mundane and sporadic. I also have a lot of meditation and mindfulness experience and am thinking of incorporating mindfulness into therapy, if I get that far.

ApocalypseSlough Thu 31-Mar-16 08:17:47

There are many ways to get a feel for counselling via volunteer listening and helpline services. Definitely the first step for anyone interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now