Talk

Advanced search

School Admin Application Help Needed

(12 Posts)
KWright84 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:09:30

I have worked in retail management and when my first child was born, I was a single mum and changed to a Government Admin role it suited around childcare. Now I am looking to return to work from my Mat Leave after having my third child. My husband has a good job but doesn't earn enough for me to give up work completely. All 3 of my children will be attending different schools when I return to work which makes things very complicated as we have lost previous appeals to get the older 2 into the same school. We have always had issues with help during school holidays so we both agreed I'd get a term time only job. I would love to work in a school as I believe I have a lot to offer and it would suit around my families needs. I love the thought of working in a supportive, nurturing and productive environment.
I have applied several times for Admingtmm roles but I believe my Supporting Statement let's me down. Is their anyone who could look at it for me and me to tweak it in order to get to an interview level.

Many thanks.

KWright84 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:14:39

Please excuse the poor grammar. I have a new phone and it keeps changing things. Still working it out.

VegasIsBest Sun 28-Feb-16 18:17:48

Many jobs in schools aren't term time only. You'll need to look carefully.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Sun 28-Feb-16 18:20:33

Hello. I work as an admin assistant in a school. Did you want to send it to me?did you ever visit the schools you applied to? I went in to hand in my cv as the school I work at like to get the opportunity to meet the people applying and shows interest.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Sun 28-Feb-16 18:21:07

My job is term time only.

KWright84 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:41:04

I have been in to one of the schools who did give me some advise and gave me feed back following my application. I then changed my statement but it now seems ridiculously too long and I think I need an outside pair of eyes to look at it as I am not sure what to take out, leave in or adjust. I did, however, do some work in a school office as voluntary which I thought would have helped. If you wouldn't mind looking at it for me, I would very much appreciate it.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Sun 28-Feb-16 18:51:41

What feedback were you given before?
I wrote a short covering letter reiterating my strengths and referred to some stuff I had seen on the website. The vision/values and ethos etc.
I also spoke about the importance of safeguarding, that if had some training regarding this and was used to working with highly sensitive information and worked with strict confidence.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Sun 28-Feb-16 18:52:02

Yes sure I would take a look for you

KWright84 Sun 28-Feb-16 18:55:35

I was told that I didn't give enough examples of what I have done to match the person spec but now it just looks like I have added far too much. I wrote it like my application for my current job but I don't think it's what is needed for these roles.
I am new to this site today. What is the best way to send you a copy?

Allthefours Sun 28-Feb-16 19:00:03

It is important that your personal statement evidences the essential criteria on the person specification so that you at least secure an interview. Talk about transferable Skills and make it personal to the job you are applying for. I've ready many applications with a stock personal statement!

In all honesty, you are in a catch 22 situation. Schools are inundated with applicants in a similar situation to you and tend to interview those with school experience already (sorry to put a downer). That said, the last person I recruited was our receptionist and she didn't have school experience. So despite ticking boxes with your application it's not always that straightforward. Keep persevering, you will get your opportunity.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Sun 28-Feb-16 19:48:52

You could send it to me in a message on here?

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 28-Feb-16 19:53:36

Your statement needs to be positive - I can multi task I can be flexible I am hard working - really sell yourself -

Then visit each school - ours will not employ anyone who hasn't visited

Yes match your statement to person spec -

Happy to look also if you message me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now