Talk

Advanced search

Will my pre-booked holidays affect my interview?

(7 Posts)
SnobblyBobbly Wed 24-Feb-16 16:34:18

An opportunity has come up locally within a new service that requires skills that match my experience, and today I've been invited along for an interview.

Apart from the usual pre/interview nerves, I'm worried that if they ask about any holidays I have booked - which they usually do - it'll count against me.

We have a weeks holiday booked in May this year, plus I have one day where I'm sitting an exam in June.

We also booked Disney Florida last year, for Easter half term 2017.

So in total, 1 week and 1 day this year, plus two weeks next year.

It feels terrible - is it terrible??

Fatmomma99 Thu 25-Feb-16 00:47:45

I don't think it's terrible, and you're giving them enough notice to arrange cover.

Good luck.

VimFuego101 Thu 25-Feb-16 01:23:00

I don't think it would be a big deal. And if it is, it's an early warning to you as to what sort of employers they are.

FishWithABicycle Thu 25-Feb-16 04:43:36

It shouldn't be a big deal for any employer who wouldn't be a nightmare in a dozen other ways so if it does affect anything then you don't want the job. I wouldn't bring up the subject at interview though. By all means answer honestly if they ask but if they don't then keep quiet until they make the job offer.

JizzyStradlin Thu 25-Feb-16 08:50:35

I think it's fine, but it's also not impossible that they'll absolutely require someone in on some or all of those dates either. Depending on the role obviously, but eg if that week in May is one of their busiest, they may not be able to offer the role to someone who can't be there. Otherwise, can't see the issue. I've done a bit of recruitment and it wouldn't put me off.

SnobblyBobbly Thu 25-Feb-16 08:51:13

That's a good point about it serving as an early warning - I hadn't looked at it that way.
If they're that inflexible then it wouldn't work longterm with me being too nervous to book a day off!

Now to try and shift my focus into possible interview questions and answers!

TiredOfSleep Sat 26-Mar-16 22:46:51

It's not like your demanding a month off in August. I doubt it will come up, but if it does I'm sure it'll be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now