Talk

Advanced search

What is it like to work in a care home

(12 Posts)
bunny7 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:58:58

Hi, iv'e got an interview this week at a Bupa care home, and was just wandering after reading horror stories on mumsnet about working in a care home, if it's right for me? I've never worked in one before and have only just recently got back into employment after having children. I have a severely mentally disabled 25 yr old son, which I do a lot for, but it was what I was reading about the way the staff treat other staff that wasn't nice. Does anyone know anything about Bupa and their reputation? I only want to do part time at the moment. Are their any positive stories out there? Thanks ladies.

MattDillonsPants Wed 24-Feb-16 02:42:54

I think you will find that a BUPA care home is very nice. My friend worked in a care home for a while and she loved it...not a BUPA one but she grew very find of her residents and formed some real friendships there. Good luck and go in with a mind clear of horror stories....we've all heard them but I doubt a BUPA home will be like that.

user1494958647 Tue 16-May-17 19:44:12

Hi i need some advice i have been working in a care home for 3 weeks now and i have my performance review within 1 week. I have to give examples of how you use the five CQC fundamentals standards in my work. I am still learning the role and dont know the answer to the above. If there is anyone who is experienced as a care assistant and could help me i would appreciate it.

yourhandfitswithmine Tue 16-May-17 19:51:03

Hi user

First of all there are lots more than 5 essential standards of quality and safety. I would take a look at the CQC website, pick 5 and then talk about how you ensure you abide by them in your role. Don't go right into the nitty gritty but for example respecting and involving people who use services, how do you do this? Example I offer choice of what to wear, I leave x for privacy whilst he uses the bathroom.

Hope that helps

CryptoFascist Tue 16-May-17 19:54:41

Read the CQC report for a home before you decide whether you want to work there.BUPA homes are notoriously understaffed as a rule.

TimeForMeToGetAWorkLifeBalance Tue 16-May-17 19:58:25

Hi User,

Do you mean the 5 KLOES? Safe, Effective, Caring, Responsive and Well Led.

Safe – How do you ensure that people are protected from abuse and avoidable harm?

Effective – How do you ensure that people’s care, treatment and support achieves good outcomes, promotes a good quality of life and is based on the best available evidence.

Caring – How do staff involve and treat people with compassion, kindness, dignity and respect?

Responsive – means that services are organised so that they meet people’s needs.

Well-led – means that the leadership, management and governance of the organisation assures the delivery of high-quality person-centred care, supports learning and innovation, and promotes an open and fair culture.

Lagirafe Tue 16-May-17 20:00:16

The BUPA home in my town has a Terri bale reputation but I imagine it varies wildly.
Sadly there's huge pressure on this industry so currently quite stressful. I am in an admin role though so not on floor.

Lagirafe Tue 16-May-17 20:01:03

Damn it this is a zombie thread angry

Electrolux2 Tue 16-May-17 20:01:57

My father died in a BUPA nursing home. He was very very ill with 24/7 highly complicated nursing needs. He was terrified when he went there but was treated well. I always found the staff to be lovely.

user1494958647 Tue 16-May-17 20:13:13

Hi thank you for your advice that has been a great help.

user1494958647 Tue 16-May-17 20:16:49

Hi yes that is what i meant thank you for your advice.

Reow Tue 16-May-17 20:19:40

Argh it's another effing zombie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now