Advanced search

CBT counsellor or Educational psychologist?

(4 Posts)
hopeonhorizon Thu 28-Jan-16 14:00:39

I'm finding it hard to secure a permanent teaching job and am thinking of a career change.
I always wanted to be an educational pyschologist but would need to do the conversion degree course (self funding) and then may not even get on to the doctorate which takes another 3 years.
The other alternative I am really keen to do is the postgrad in Cognitive behaviour counselling. This is self funding which I could afford if I was sure of getting a well enough paid job on finishing. I am aware that most people on the course will have jobs in mental health nursing and are funded by nhs so not sure how my background in education would stand.
Ideas anyone?

OP’s posts: |
jclm Thu 28-Jan-16 17:20:33

I'm surprised about the lack of permanent teaching jobs - I thought teaching was a dead cert for getting a permanent job. The career choices you mention are even more competitive I would have thought... Though it may be different in your local region.

Can you say a bit more about what would follow the post grad counselling course? Would you set up as self employed? X

hopeonhorizon Fri 29-Jan-16 22:49:25

I'm in N Ireland where teaching has always been a very competitive area. I trained & had a permanent post for years in Scotland before moving. Ideally I would like a permanent job in psychology or therapy. The doctorate in psychology is very hard to get on to and I would need to do a conversion degree in psychology first. However I don't fancy paying to do the psychology conversion course and then not getting in. If I was guaranteed a place I'd definitely do it. I know there is a need for cognitive therapists within the NHS but most people on the course will be working in mental health already.

OP’s posts: |
jclm Sun 31-Jan-16 08:12:39

I think you need to chat to others in the field,and network locally to find out how the jib market is. Have you considered volunteering? This will help you to decide what direction to go in.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in