Talk

Advanced search

Quitting Medicine After Mat Leave?

(7 Posts)
Unsure2016 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:22:31

Anyone else decided to quit hospital medicine after maternity leave? I used to be incredibly conscientious and hardworking, staying hours after my colleagues went home to cross 't's and dot 'i's. Sometimes I think I was just very inefficient compared with my colleagues. I'm having a serious crisis in confidence now and spend whole days pondering a few errors I know I made several years ago and which I blame myself for. I find medicine and the risk of errors extremely stressful. I don't think I will be a good mother if I come home each evening either very late or else extremely stressed about having left before I checked everything I wanted to. I don't have OCD, but must be on that slope! Any suggestions gratefully received!

blanketbox Mon 25-Jan-16 16:30:07

I had exactly the same feelings as you about the risk of errors and loss of confidence is a big deal after mat leave. Practising medicine is a very heavy responsibility and that doesn't suit everybody. That said, I think everyone has these feelings at the end of mat leave: it doesn't mean hospital medicine isn't for you. A year is a long time in medicine and it's common to feel de-skilled. It's worth asking your trust if you can do some KIT days before going back, to ease yourself back in.

My personal solution was to quit my CMT job and switch to public health. I found that my personality wasn't really suited to the relentlessness of hospital medicine and public health is a much better fit (and more family friendly).

So i'd say: go back and see if you can give it another go. It might not be as bad as you think when you're back in the swing of things. But have a couple of back up options. Obviously public health isn't right for everyone, but you could consider other non-acute specialities or even options outside of medicine (it isn't a prison sentence!)

jclm Thu 28-Jan-16 22:54:18

I'm not a doctor but from the outside, medicine seems like a great way to balance family, especially as there are pt jobs (well for GPs), very well paid,stable career etc. Can you discuss with a mentor or careers advisor before you leap? X

Notreallyanewuser Wed 03-Feb-16 21:06:43

I am a doctor and, yes, def considered quitting medicine multiple times during and after mat leave. Also have perfectionist tendencies! Motherhood has bizarrely helped with those in the longer term: I can't stay late as childcare never waits . Also, it is entirely impossible to be a perfect mother (imo) so I have learned to live with "good enough".
Loss f confidence on Mat leave was nearly catastrophic (for me, not any patients!) but a perceptive ed sup spotted it and a bit of tough love and then positive feedback carried me over the hump.
I didn't quit, youngest dc is 7 now and we muddle on!
My advice would be firstly, don't do anything in a hurry. Time is on your side on Mat leave usually. Specific advice will depend where you are at in your career. I'm happy to discuss via PM if that would help. Also, are you on doctors net (if in UK)? Lots of helpful advice from v experienced people there.

GnarlyOldGoatDude Wed 03-Feb-16 21:11:11

Agree with previous posters- please don't do anything hasty. Several kids on, and I actually value my job far more than I did pre kids. It very much depends on specialty and grade too. There's much more flexibility in medicine than you might think.

Also happy to give advice by PM if you'd prefer.

Kerala2712 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:14:14

I'm just going back to work in A+E in a kids hospital- I can barely remember my name let alone what to do in a crisis. I reckon everyone feels a bit like you- I certainly do. Try it and see how you go. Can I ask- do you think you might be a bit depressed/anxious?
I've just spoken to my boss- they do understand- nobody comes back from mat leave firing on all cylinders- give yourself a bit of time. Your baby will be completely fine while you work it out.
I'm in South Yorkshire if you want to pm or anything. Hugs x

MaybeDoctor Fri 26-Feb-16 07:26:09

Would research be an option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now