Talk

Advanced search

Part time job struggles

(8 Posts)
Jenpen82 Thu 21-Jan-16 11:16:25

Hi. Keen to get people's experiences on returning to work part time after having children?
I was made redundant on maternity leave and have been lucky enough to find a similar role, that I was offered on a part time basis (despite role initially being full time).
It's only been one week and I'm finding that I'm having to continually justify and explain why I'm returning part time to a member of the team. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to understand that as I'm part time I will only be working on my allocated days, and come time to leave I need to be out the door on time to pick my daughter up from childcare.
I suspect he has concerns about how this will impact him. But he keeps commenting on my 'long weekends' and raises his eyebrow when I leave the office on time.
It's making me feel uncomfortable and I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any advice?
Kind words only please as I've never posted before.
Thank you!

MRSSF1 Thu 21-Jan-16 11:26:29

Hello,
Is he a co-worker or Manager/Team Leader? I would ignore his frankly childish comments and behavior and if it still continues would raise the issue with either him directly or a Team Leader. There's no need for you to justify yourself or working pattern to him! Seen as you already have justified yourself I would politely and firmly tell him that you don't appreciate hus behaviour and it's making you uncomfortable. Hopefully he will gain some brain cells and give it a rest!

iseenodust Thu 21-Jan-16 11:30:45

Who decided to offer you P/T if the role was initially F/T? If he was outvoted on the change in hours then he may be resentful but it's his problem not yours. Just ensure you are totally productive in the time you are there.

JontyDoggle37 Thu 21-Jan-16 13:23:42

Time to front up to this guy, he's testing out how much crap he can give you (much like a toddler, so you should be well armed to deal with him!). Next time he says 'long weekend' or raises his eyebrows, I would comment, loudly, 'if you have a problem with this role being part-time, I strongly suggest you take it up with management. Otherwise, find another way to exercise your eyebrows.' Communicate really well with your direct manager and make sure they are aware of all the value you bring. And NEVER apologise for leaving on time. It's about what you've got done, not how long you're there for.

Jenpen82 Thu 21-Jan-16 15:23:05

I'm an Account Manager and he is the Senior Account Manager. So he oversees my work on a day to day basis but he isn't my manager. He also had nothing to do with my employment so I think his nose is out of joint!
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate your thoughts. Good to know that I'm not wrong for feeling irked by him. It's the last thing I need to be dealing with!
Thanks again smile

ABetaDad1 Thu 21-Jan-16 15:30:21

Does he know you are part time? Does he know what your contract says?

It sounds like he thinks you are full time.

I suspect he wanted a full time employee and all he got was you part time and hence he is not happy. I suggest you talk to the person who hired you and ask for a joint meeting to clarify the situation and actually force him out into the open and make it clear what your hours are in front of the person who hired you.

Unfortunately, sometimes senior managers do not take responsibility and will hire you but not explain the situation to the man who is effectively your manager because they promised him a full time employee and hope to 'wing it' and hence avoid a confrontation. Leaving you in an impossible situation that will not end well.

Don't back down. Don't agree to work outside your contracted hours and don't agree to 'take calls at home' because you will end up working full time for part time pay. I have several female friends who were forced into that position.

JustABigBearAlan Thu 21-Jan-16 15:42:48

I think you need to make it clear to him you are on a part-time contract. Therefore it's not a long weekend as such, it's just a day you don't get paid for. Call him on it. Don't allow him to intimidate you or think less of you for working just as hard as everyone else - just fewer days. In fact you probably work harder - lots of part-time do.

By the way I hate confrontation, but I've got a bit tougher since having children!

IpreferToblerone Thu 21-Jan-16 15:57:39

What bear said ^

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now