Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used a careers advisor or 'talent liberator' in mid life?

(8 Posts)
therealmrsclooney Thu 10-Dec-15 20:03:13

I'm trying to get back into the workplace after 16 years (gulp)! I used to be a PA/PR in the art world. I'm bright and vivacious with plenty of current skills and ideas, and I've kept my hand in with a bit of ad hoc writing, admin and PR. Happy to re-train and work for myself but don't know which direction to go in. I'd like to find someone who can uncover my potential. Any suggestions?

MissTriggs Fri 18-Dec-15 14:08:16

start a new thread in January - I'll be back then as will lots of us I suspect!

opioneers Fri 18-Dec-15 14:12:55

Me too. Ex media, good skills, no idea what to do with myself and going round in circles, so would love to know what's out there.

mouldycheesefan Fri 18-Dec-15 14:18:27

The problem with talent liberators uncovering your potential is that they can give you all sorts of amazing ideas but if there are not job opportunities in those roles whee you live it isn't all that helpful. I would start from a Point of what work is available Research is key. Getting back in the workplace perhaps temping as a PA so you have some recent experience would be my recommendation . As a HR MGr I would have concerns about employing someone who had been out of the workforce for 16 years so temping is a great route back in and allows you to try out different companies for size.

Good luck

MissTriggs Fri 18-Dec-15 14:22:34

Mouldy - could you talk a bit more about how HR would see employing people who've been out of the workforce.

I've stayed in the workforce but have controlled my own hours for 12 years working about 20 hours/week. Do think think if I applied for an office based job again they'd suspect I couldn't hack the pressure?

JakeBallardswife Fri 18-Dec-15 14:30:59

I'm a career coach. We help you to get to find out where you want to be through effective questioning and then assist you work out a strategy and plan of how you are going to make changes and a time plan to do this. We don't suggest you become a cellist if you've always wanted to be a botanist etc. Will then give you support job hunting in your chosen field. Also offer c.v advice and interview techniques.

There are lots of tools online but it may be worth looking to chat to someone locally to you.

mouldycheesefan Sat 19-Dec-15 07:00:07

Miss triggs, lots of people work part time for all sorts of reasons no issue at all. I work part time myself. Doesn't mean you can't hack the pressure of working full time or working in an office just that you have made a different choice.

MissTriggs Sat 19-Dec-15 15:53:07

thanks Mouldy - I agree but it's how employers would see it that matters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now