Talk

Advanced search

Increasing hours from 3.5 to FT teaching..?

(6 Posts)
linzimummy Fri 04-Dec-15 09:36:37

I currently work part time (3.5 days) so I can spend the other days with my 4 & 2 yr old. Next year, my 4 yr old will be starting school where I teach. This means that even on my day off I'll have to go to work for the school run. So, I'm considering going back full time but that would mean putting my DS (who will be 3) in FT nursery.
This seems unfair on my youngest but, at the same time, it's only 1 extra full day. Just wondering what other people's experiences are of FT working with kids this age. Particularly teaching. Is the workload manageable? And how does a LO in FT nursery get on?
Thank you

jclm Sat 05-Dec-15 08:02:16

How far is your school run? I would be tempted to stay part time and just do the school run tbh! X

girlsyearapart Sat 05-Dec-15 08:13:23

I'm watching with interest ..
I have gone up from 2 to 3 days and go up to 4 after Xmas.
I think it depends on which year group you teach, how much your HT expects of you etc
I have worked at schools where it was like a competition on who stayed the latest every evening etc which would make it difficult I suppose.
I job share with a fantastic colleague which makes a difference.
My HT is understanding when it comes to nativity plays and important first days sports days etc and will release you from class to attend.
Speaking to friends I know that's not always the case though.

ApplySomePressure Sat 05-Dec-15 08:22:51

I've worked full time since DS was 6 months old, had no choice. He's 2.5 now.
It's bloody hard. Once DS is in bed I have to muster the energy to start marking and planning.
I guess I've just got on with it and adapted.

linzimummy Sat 05-Dec-15 16:45:05

Thank you everyone. I think I might put off FT for as long as possible! I have a good balance now & can just about manage my current workload.

BackforGood Sat 05-Dec-15 16:53:50

I never went back to FT. I tend to work (school work) at home on my days off, which then means I don't have to work through all the evenings and weekends.
Obviously if you need the money, then you need the money, but, believe me, the pre-school years are the easiest part of juggling work and little ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now