Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Returning to IT

(5 Posts)
FlowerGirl29 Fri 27-Nov-15 10:44:35

I am looking at going back to work as a Web developer after a very long career break, I have applied for many jobs but I am not being considered as I have had 10 years out of the industry, any advice how to get back into work

JustDanceAddict Fri 27-Nov-15 11:37:44

My husband is in IT and he would straight away suggest training to bring you up to date. He is hiring at the moment and the calibre of applicants is shocking. If you bring yourself up to date with the technologies and what's happening in the field of web developing you will have a much better chance of gaining employment. It's not like an admin job where skills are transferable, these are skills that have to be kept up to date.

CrispyFB Fri 27-Nov-15 18:36:37

I'm currently trying to get back into IT (I was a software engineer/technical author) after seven years out, and out of three job applications I've made, two have shown a very definite interest i.e. I've got past the CV culling part. The applications are still ongoing (one interview, one screening test results needed) so I don't know how it'll go yet, but I suspect the hardest part in our situation is getting past the CV in the bin stage.

I think what really helped was that I spent some time earlier this year writing a small project at home to get myself up to speed with the newer technologies. I've really drawn attention to it on my CV and in cover letters and talked about how quick I am to pick up new skills etc etc. I've also made a small portfolio of technical documents which I mention in my application.

To avoid being soul destroyed from rejections, I'm only applying for jobs that are a really good match for my experience which means only about one application a month at the moment.

Are you on Linked-In? Two of my former project managers were really keen to refer me after I friended them on there, but unfortunately the commute was unworkable. It was a big confidence boost though!

Good luck!

FlowerGirl29 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:47:08

Thanks for the advice, the project sounds like a good idea will get on and put a website together so I can reference it on my CV

foragogo Mon 30-Nov-15 09:52:22

Someone i know is looking for a new job after 10 years in IT at one company. He has had to do a ceryification coutse in the area he specilaises to prove his knowledge is uo to date and is now gettimg plenty of interviews. So a training cpurse may be the way to go. The online ones are cheaper, though not cheap, and it might be a good way to show your knowledge is current despite the break. Have you thought about taking a lower rate contracting role for a few months to get back in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now