Talk

Advanced search

What's the most important element a job needs when you're returning to work from maternity leave?

(7 Posts)
Twinklestar2 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:19:42

Is it

Flexibility?
Good money?
An understanding manager?
Local / short commute?
A job you love?

Something else?

I need help with making a decision.

Thanks in advance smile

FondantFancy66 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:23:01

For me, flexibility, and thankfully my job has it. I don't have a particularly short commute, and it's not the highest paid job in the world, but the flexibility and an understanding manager help to counter those things. Of course, managers can change.

I'd also add family-friendly policies to your list. I get pretty much unlimited caring leave, which although I've not used much, it's nice to know that it's there. It takes some of the pressure off.

thatstoast Mon 23-Nov-15 21:23:04

Ideally all those things? I have that atm but it's a fixed term contract so will potentially be looking for something else next year. However if I hadn't had the flexibility and short commute or I was paid less it wouldn't have been worth me working.

FannyTheChampionOfTheWorld Tue 24-Nov-15 21:08:50

For me it's flexibility, but it would depend entirely on your circumstances. If you need to earn x amount to keep a roof over your head and you can only get that by taking a job that doesn't offer any of the other things, it's money. If something in your life means you're more likely than most to require an understanding manager, maybe you often have to leave at short notice because your DC has a complex health condition, that'd be the priority even if you hated the job. Short commute is brilliant, personally I chose to sacrifice that in return for a job I like doing only the hours I want. But it probably wouldn't have been viable to do that commute full time, so the flexibility with hours was a requirement for me to be able to take it.

ApplesTheHare Tue 24-Nov-15 21:15:34

Flexibility and family-friendly policies have been most important in my first few months back. I underestimated how different work would feel after going back and how much something like baby getting a chest infection would screw with work due to lack of sleep, time off to look after them, worry, etc.

Believeitornot Tue 24-Nov-15 21:16:55

Flexibility!!!!

Twinklestar2 Sat 28-Nov-15 21:40:00

Sorry for late reply but thanks for your answers!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now