Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to teach Primary and Survive with two DCS?

(24 Posts)
SlingMomma Thu 19-Nov-15 11:22:39

Seriously? Any of you out there Primary Teachers? I was wondering whether it's possible to combine the two and keep the whole show (hubby/ house/ children) on the road? Anyone know someone doing this successfully? Or part-timers?

ppeatfruit Thu 19-Nov-15 17:08:04

I was a full time primary teacher before we had dcs.I Took a long break there's no way i could face that sort of stress grin and went back to supply and some part time when they were quite a lot older grin.

I admit we had a cleaner anyway P\T of course but i still couldn't have kept a half way decent largish house with 3 dcs and being at home!!

SlingMomma Thu 19-Nov-15 18:46:32

Ahhh, okay. This seems similar to other things I've heard. Presumably there must be some women who DO, though? Did you find it just about manageable when you went PT? And is there anyone else out there who has managed without...well basically going bonkers?!

ppeatfruit Fri 20-Nov-15 07:00:17

Iam older and noticed how much more stress was involved in the job when I returned to do supply grin. I only did one day a week as P\T

Now IMO it is a job that is almost impossible to do properly FT. WITHOUT dcs!!!!! (due to the administration ) . Let alone with them.

You'd need very good support and be doing it for love (certainly not money!!).

futureme Fri 20-Nov-15 07:04:19

Um I only know one and she had a sahd.

At my school the teachers who are parents have resigned in the last year....

JennyOnAPlate Fri 20-Nov-15 07:51:53

My best friend does it with 3 dc under 8. She has a LOT of family support though. She has a number of relatives locally who do a lot of childcare for her, and her mum does all her ironing!

SlingMomma Fri 20-Nov-15 09:27:18

Ahhh, OK...I see a trend emerging here!!

SlingMomma Fri 20-Nov-15 09:30:02

Anyone got any stories/ advice that bucks the trend? It seems to me that education is the only sector that matches one up to the kiddies holidays...so is a real blessing in that sense. I remember lots of primary teachers with families in my day!! Admittedly we're talking 30-odd years ago now...

futureme Fri 20-Nov-15 09:45:15

People who don't teach assume it's family friendly. If you're full time you need before and after school care - can never do drop offs or pick ups, see school plays, sports days, special assemblies etc as work isn't flexible. Also term time can be hell as you come home exhausted, try to spend time feeding and putting kids to bed and then have to work in the evening just to be able to cope the next day.

People go part time just to manage the workload.

But yes there's the holidays....

ppeatfruit Fri 20-Nov-15 11:24:20

Yes it's shame SlingMomma it WAS a bit easier 30 yrs ago, since the curse of the Nat Curriculum and Ofsted oh and the unending changes, it's like hell a millstone.

The sad thing is I don't reckon it's much better for the actual pupils either. Esp. for the late developers who get tarred with the disruptive brush, just because they're physically and mentally unable to sit down and concentrate for hours at a time sad

Tanaqui Fri 20-Nov-15 11:36:25

I did it for 2 yrs 10 years ago- and then swapped to supply!

You need 100% reliable childcare, a partner who will give you a clear afternoon at the w/e for planning, to work through lunch, and to be ruthless in cutting out anything you possible can.

SlingMomma Wed 25-Nov-15 08:27:47

Wow, guys. Just WOW. It sounds such a shame that it's become so crazy. I don't remember being any kind of pressure AT ALL at Primary but we all went to secondary thern started achieving like mad...lots of high flying professionals now from my primary. Crazy, isn't it?

Well, what the beep are women supposed to do for work now?!?!!

SlingMomma Wed 25-Nov-15 08:28:47

I mean Mums. Not women generally. No wonder lady year more new companies were registered with Company House than any before!

ppeatfruit Wed 25-Nov-15 08:47:32

You're sooo right Slingmomma In Sweden they don't start academic study till the age of 6 or 7 and still are fine. The emphasis on younger and younger formal tests and heavy curriculum, is ridiculous and counter productive IMO and E.

Llareggub Wed 25-Nov-15 08:52:37

There's lots of us who manage very demanding, full-time jobs and have children. I'm not a teacher but my job still requires plenty of work outside the 9-5.

I'm a single parent so I just make it work. Some people can handle the juggling of balls in the air, and some can't. Only you know if it is something you are willing and able to do.

A big bonus has to be the holidays. I'd love the summer holidays off; it's my worst time of year for keeping the show on the road.

SlingMomma Wed 25-Nov-15 18:38:58

Bless you, Lareggub I understand- I've done that, too. The very intense 9-5 thing. I agree with what you're saying- people DO make things work. I was just trying to fathom what's going on down this particular path. There do seem to be some big pluses to Primary teaching (is kids can come to work WITH you, the holidays). I'm not looking for the soft option, but having several teachers in my life I'm concerned from what I have seen that it's almost impossibly stressful. I don't mean to suggest that other careers aren't but I have the inkling that some of us might be shocked if we saw what the teachers are currently going through. I want to ensure I have my eyes wide open.

futureme Thu 26-Nov-15 00:02:52

They can only come to work with you IF you manage to get a job in the same school AND they have a before school club/after school club.

I looked at a job a short commute away and worked out I'd need to drop kids in childcare at 7.30am to be there by 8am which is tricky in our area.

Millionprammiles Thu 26-Nov-15 08:52:20

OP: you'd be in the same boat as anyone else working ft, except you wouldn't have the problem of holiday care on top. If you have the option of part-time or supply teaching, that might be the most viable option. For many though its ft or nothing.

There have been a few threads recently on how parents manage - a mish mash of CMs, after school clubs, grandparents, shift work, catching up in evenings/weekends, flexible hours for the lucky few etc.

None of it is satisfactory really and until Councils are required (and funded) to make wrap around and holiday care available to all, nothing will change.

I've seen many talented women have to leave careers they've worked hard to build. I've known many families struggle to make ends meet when illness/redundancy/divorce hits.
In the meantime we're stuck with an education system that relies on a 1950s ideology.

icklekid Thu 26-Nov-15 08:54:34

I've only got one ds and work part time but plenty of working mums with 2/3/4 children! Including our head. We support each other some are ft some pt!

SlingMomma Fri 27-Nov-15 09:21:40

More interesting points. Thanks guys. Particularly interesting remark re our education system having a 1950s ideology. Things just seem SO tough for everyone, now. Great tip re attempting to gain employment at a school with wrap around care. Crazy times, ladies!!

Readysteadyknit Fri 27-Nov-15 09:31:01

I've only got one ds and work part time but plenty of working mums with 2/3/4 children! Including our head. We support each other some are ft some pt!

I think this is the key but HTs really vary - if you get a supportive head, it is still tough but possible. However some HTs nowadays are awful - my last one used to joke with her cronies about pushing people over the edge with her expectations.

ppeatfruit Fri 27-Nov-15 11:41:34

shock angry That is disgusting Readysteadyknit I hope you reported her.

Readysteadyknit Fri 27-Nov-15 14:52:09

fruit Staff complained to the governors but she denied everything and we were told it was about raising standards. I am all for raising standards but think that it can be achieved without bullying. I voted with my feet and now do supply. The staff turnover is now very high at that school.

I do a lot of supply in a local outstanding school the HT is a lovely man who obviously cares about his staff and pupils - he acheives great results by having a clear vision and great organisation and because he treats people well, they will go the extra mile.

ppeatfruit Mon 30-Nov-15 10:00:05

Ready shock But if she was being EA to staff they would have the evidence. She could well've been EA to the children too.

So 'raising standards' is about running a school into special measures is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now