Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Being a full-time teacher and new parent

(2 Posts)
starshine123 Sun 01-Nov-15 13:50:13

Hello All,

I am new to Mumsnet but often read through comments when looking for advice. It has helped me on many occasions so felt it was about time I signed up!
I have recently found out I am pregnant (about 7 weeks), and as happy as I am, it has made me panic about my future.
I currently teach upper key stage 2 in a primary school and the job takes up every evening and a day of my weekend (every weekend). I already struggle to keep on top of the ever growing workload and at times this impacts on my home life (husband and step-child). I have worked with women who have taken on part-time teaching after the birth of their children and all have given up the career as they have felt unable to be successful mothers and teachers at the same time. One or the other has had to give.
Financially, I would have to go back full-time after my maternity but as I already sacrifice the majority of my life to the job, I don't see how this will be possible with a new baby.

If I am honest, I am looking for alternative careers, but having only ever been a teacher, I have no idea what I could do. Are there, or have there been any others in a similar position, and if so, how have you dealt with it?

Thank you for any responses.

Starshine123 smile

noblegiraffe Sun 01-Nov-15 13:54:17

One thing you need to be aware of is that if you do not return to teaching after maternity leave for at least 13 weeks full time (or longer part time) then this will affect your maternity pay (12 weeks at 50% pay if you stay in teaching).

There are lots of threads on here about alternative careers to teaching (have a look at the Staffroom section, there's at least one on the front page), but it would depend on your qualifications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now