Talk

Advanced search

Professional back to work help

(5 Posts)
PastaLaFeasta Wed 28-Oct-15 15:51:00

DD2 starting school in September so count down is starting on my return to work. I've got a CV which I've improved, gained a lower level professional qualification and got some volunteer experience including related to the qualification/career I'm hoping to enter. It's a career change so starting from the bottom, and I do have a degree but graduate schemes are out due to rubbish A Levels - yes they matter despite the 2.1 from a RG uni. But I'm terrible at application forms, CVs and cover letters. It feels like there is a secret code to job applications that I just don't understand. I tend to be ok in interview but that was a long time ago so it feels terrifying. And I can take on board advice on how to approach it but end up staring at the blank page not knowing how to start. So probably need a hand holding.

I'm trying to access any free support through the careers service and council, is it worth trying the job centre? - I'm not claiming anything and don't know if I'd be eligible. However, I could consider professional help if it isn't extortionate - I'm not senior so perhaps not a typical client. Has anyone used such support and any recommendations or pointers? I'd even consider a career coach as I need to improve confidence and I'm not totally convinced my chosen career is the right choice - I'm trying to get work experience or just go in to talk to people actually doing the job in the meantime.

Thanks,

NoodleNuts Thu 29-Oct-15 10:20:22

The job centre won't help I don't think, they don't really help people to find jobs anymore confused Even if you are claiming JSA they don't really help you find work.

Sorry I can't be of any more help but good luck!

Wisteria1979 Thu 29-Oct-15 10:33:46

There are plenty of companies out there that run outplacement support on behalf for other companies when employees are made redundant. Then you access cv writing workshops, a bit of career coaching, interview techniques etc, sounds like you are looking for something similar. I don't know if it works like that but maybe if you google outplacement and contact companies directly so see if they sell that service privately as well? Just a thought. Otherwise there is plenty of info online on cv writing, cover letter and interview techniques but it sounds like you might benefit from a little support in figuring out what you want to do first.

PastaLaFeasta Thu 29-Oct-15 12:33:39

I suspected the job centre would be no help, I was almost tempted to apply for some kind of benefit for the support element, but not much point if it doesn't exist. I know ESA has the support type stuff and I'd qualify due to health but not financially. I'm waiting on a local council contact and someone from the national careers service to get back to me but my hopes aren't high.

The outplacement thing sounds good, I've known people get this help and it is what I need - a bit of coaching, hands on help with CVs/applications and interview technique. There are so many companies claiming to help with CVs it's just knowing which one is a good one. I'll give outplacement a Google. I guess recruitment companies could help but I'm not quite ready to apply for jobs, more work exp/internships, so they won't waste time with me just yet.

I have had a response to set up work exp which is promising and found out that a big graduate recruiter in the field has dropped their A Level requirements which is a good sign of how things may move forward.

Thanks for the responses.

MindfulBear Sat 31-Oct-15 20:59:53

Many of the accounting firms now only look at GCSEs results and their own tests, rather than degree or A levels. I am told this is because GCSE success is a better indicator, of professional exam success, than A levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now