Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Accruing annual leave during maternity leave

(12 Posts)
Snausage Fri 18-Sep-15 11:46:43

Help, please!

I started back at work on Monday after having taken 12 months. My employer offered statutory maternity. My annual leave year runs January 1 to December 31. Everything I've read says that the employee maintains all rights including leave whilst they're on maternity leave.

Having been off for 12 months, will I have accrued my normal annual leave allowance since January 1? In theory, I should have accrued about 19 days or so. Is this correct?

Many, many thanks in advance!

poocatcherchampion Fri 18-Sep-15 11:57:48

Yes.

Did you use up all last years allowance before you went off or did you also carry some over?

BikeRunSki Fri 18-Sep-15 12:03:30

Yes

I your annual leave allowance is 19 days, then you have accrued 19 annual leave. You also now accrue bank holidays in lieu. But, I think you may have to take accrued leave before you return to work. I am not certain about this, but it is what everyone I know has done.

poocatcherchampion Fri 18-Sep-15 12:05:47

No you don't have to, you take it as suits you and your org.

Snausage Fri 18-Sep-15 12:07:36

Hi poocatcher, yes, I used last year's leave up before I went on maternity leave.

BikeRunSki - I wasn't ever told by my employer that I had to use my accrued annual leave before returning to work? Correspondence from HR prior to returning just said that my return to work date was September 14th. I started work on Monday, will I have lost everything I've accrued?

Snausage Fri 18-Sep-15 12:09:03

So, Poocatcher, my 19 days are available to me still?

nephrofox Fri 18-Sep-15 12:15:30

Yes they are accrued so still available to take this year

Hackersschmakers Fri 18-Sep-15 12:17:42

Yes, they definitley are.

Snausage Fri 18-Sep-15 12:20:04

Thank you all so much! SO. MUCH! I'm new to Mumsnet (joined on Wednesday!) and you guys have already made my day. I hope that some time I can contribute advice to help someone as much as you have helped me.

x

BumWad Wed 07-Oct-15 16:17:21

. You also now accrue bank holidays in lieu.

Bike I thought BH weren't included? I work for the NHS and if this is true then yippee! Has a new legislation been passed or something?

yummumto3girls Thu 08-Oct-15 23:19:37

The legal minimum is 5.6 weeks leave, including bank holidays, pro rata. They cannot pay you less than that. It will obviously also be pro rata according to how far through the leave you are.

MilkyChops Fri 23-Oct-15 15:40:19

It's less any bank holidays though as you didn't actually work them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now