Talk

Advanced search

No references to speak of

(2 Posts)
Coffeeessential Fri 07-Aug-15 09:11:42

Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of help if that's okay.
I've been a SAHM for nearly 12 years now and after a series of things going a bit pear shaped at home our finances are on their knees and I'm desperate to take a part time job. I've found a few I'd like to apply for, but when I get to the 'Please supply two references' bit, I get completely disheartened.

The job I had last was Asda, and my managers have since all left, but being such a huge company I'm presuming they'll still have my details so I thought I could just write 'HR Dept' at Asda --etc.

The job I had before that I left nearly 15 years ago, and it was in Shoezone - the shop has since moved premises to over the road and none of the staff I worked with then are there any more. So I'm presuming that's a no go.

I'm not on the PTA, and the Headmaster of my daughter's primary school I knew quite well moved on last year. I wondered about the Deputy Head, but with it being the summer holidays I can't get in touch with her now and the closing date of one of the jobs is 10th August.
We're not religious, so don't have a minister, and my doctor won't do references full stop. I don't really have friends who could vouch for me and I haven't done any voluntary work. I went to university, but left over 15 years ago. I'm getting so frustrated now I'm considering asking my uncle, who's a retired solicitor, to vouch for me, even though I know you're not supposed to.

I just seem to hit a brick wall every time - I especially wanted to apply to this one job and I don't think I'm going to find anyone before the cut off date in three days.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

BikeRunSki Fri 07-Aug-15 22:12:19

I'd use Asda and the university. Even if they don't remember you personally, they are likely to have records about your time keeping, performance etc and will be able to supply a factual reference based on that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now