home workers - where to put the lo?

(10 Posts)
fionathepink Thu 06-Aug-15 12:45:28

so I've been freelance and home based for some years but it has always been evening work when the lo are in bed. now I have a ft contract starting so do I risk my 13 mo at home a day a week?

I know people do this but how? have any of you worked at home for any length of time with a baby? how do you make calls and get around their need for attention? I would love to know to figure a day where I can have my littlest with me and then hardcore head down the rest of the week.

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Aug-15 12:47:45

You can't do it. Even at 9 its hard to have ds around all day and do a good days work without being interrupted - unless he has unfettered PC access.

tootiredtobeinspired Thu 06-Aug-15 12:53:07

Its impossible with kids at home to get anything done. If I have mine at home I dont even attempt phone calls, it is email only and I dont try to do any proper work until they are in bed, and mine are older than yours.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 06-Aug-15 12:58:24

No it can't be done unless someone else is looking after them and you can shut yourself away.

It only gets worse until they get to about 5 or 6 when a dvd or playing on a tablet will keep them entertained for a couple of hours.

GaryBaldy Thu 06-Aug-15 12:59:29

Not a chance you can do it with a child as young as that.

I work from home but I have a very independent 11 year old who knows not to interrupt when I'm on the phone etc

fionathepink Thu 06-Aug-15 13:00:04

That's what I thought. I had never dared try it before with my eldest. just hoped someone might have the secret to make it work.

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 13:00:28

No, if you're working you need childcare. If you're freelance, can't you have that day a week properly with lo and then make up for it with head down the rest of the week - maybe be available by phone/email in emergencies on your day "off" if necessary?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 06-Aug-15 13:06:50

What I do is juggle my time so I do client contact work during the day on my childcare days and then I work in the evenings and for a couple of hours at the weekend to have some one-to-one time with the DC and have two/three days a week of childcare but work three/four days.

purplemurple1 Thu 06-Aug-15 13:31:34

Up to six months was ok as they sleep alot after that it was just couple of hours before they get up and after bed time and trying to do calls during naps. But ft was only possible by working weekends when oh is looking after the kids.

Hoppinggreen Thu 06-Aug-15 22:17:48

I can only really do a few hours now my 2 are 10 and 6, couldn't do it with a baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now