Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Last min panic NHS interview

(27 Posts)
ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Thu 30-Jul-15 20:46:40

Ah so sorry but I'm so nervous about my interview tommorow (HCA Psychiatric ward)
If anyone can help can you tell me have I covered everything in preparation for the interview? Here's what I researched:
- confidentiality (Caldicott principles)
- NHS specification &
Criteria
- how to resolve conflict
- how to provide patient centred care (meet psychical & emotional needs, promote independence ?)
- mental health currently in media (benefit cuts & having treatment out of area?)

Sorry for the long post just panicking and want to cover all bases. Would love this job but not very hopeful!

ggirl Thu 30-Jul-15 20:49:38

Probably some questions with scenarios ?
Exploring you're ability to ask for help when out of your depth .
What you would do if you came across bad practice?

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Thu 30-Jul-15 20:51:15

Thank you smile I'm gong to be useless at scenario ones blush
Bad practise one - report to nurse in charge/ management?
And record everything?

Lion12 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:53:02

read up on the hospital/trust so you can sound knowledgable.

Have examples of conflict and how you've resolved it - think about what you would do different.

Really think about why you are the best person for the role with examples that relate to the job spec.

Good luck!

ggirl Thu 30-Jul-15 20:54:34

what qualities can you bring to the job?
what are your strengths and weaknesses?...very common q's

msrisotto Thu 30-Jul-15 20:57:37

Yeah i'd think of some answers to 'what would you do if?' type questions. The key is not panicking, keep everyone safe and ask colleagues for help.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Thu 30-Jul-15 21:16:43

Fab thank you all grin

Do you think I'd find out the same day even though it's a Friday afternoon?

Mamabird3 Thu 30-Jul-15 21:24:41

Hi, I recently had an interview for a hca role on a psychiatric ward and I was asked to tell them about myself, what qualities I could bring to the job, what my strengths and weaknesses are, and what I think I'd find hard about the job. I was also asked about what I'd do in various scenarios, such as what would I do if there were service users fighting, or what would I do if I overheard a service user talking about plans to commit suicide. Mostly In the case of the scenarios I said I would raise the alarm if it was an emergency, raise it with a senior member of staff, be mindful of safeguarding and confidentiality etc. I'm afraid I can't remember much more than that as it was a month or two ago now! For what it's worth I got the job and I'm currently waiting for my start date.
At the end of the interview they should let you know when to expect to hear back from them, however I've found that the nhs hr department are quite slow, which is why I'm still waiting for a start date and I can't wait to get started!!
Good luck!

lougle Thu 30-Jul-15 21:51:12

Go back to the advert and look at the person specification. NHS roles are really tight on the selection criteria and they use a scoring matrix. So on the spec it should tell you what they want and how they will find it (ie. Application form, interview, test). Look up all the stuff they say they'll look for in interview.

As an example, I applied for a (qualified) role and missed out on interview by 3 points. When I asked for feedback, one of the ones was 'you didn't say you were good with IT'. I had applied using an online application form, but because I hadn't specifically said 'I'm good with IT' it went against me.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Thu 30-Jul-15 21:52:40

Well done mamabird3
Iougle I didn't realise that! Thanks for that info

VivaLeBeaver Thu 30-Jul-15 21:55:15

Six Cs.

Courage, compassion, etc

The Mid Staffs report/Francis enquiry.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 30-Jul-15 21:57:51

Sorry, just seen its a HCA position not a nurse so they probably won't expect you to know about mid staffs.

But the importance of the six C's would be a good thing. Just that you're aware of it and how you would always treat patients according to it.

msrisotto Fri 31-Jul-15 06:56:34

I've never heard of the 6 Cs and I work at band 6 in allied health care. Can you explain what they are please?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 31-Jul-15 08:58:31

www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/6c-a5-leaflet.pdf

Here. Six c's nhs culture of compassionate care. Their solution to what happened at mid Staffs where they felt staff had stopped caring. So someone at the nhs dreamed up this project where they tell staff to be nice to patients.

I have had interviews and also being interviewed quite a bit recently and it's always asked. That's at band six level.

mamadoc Fri 31-Jul-15 09:07:50

Whistleblowing/ safeguarding

Eg 1. you see a member of staff hitting or swearing at a patient what do you do?
2. A service user tells you that her husband hits her. What do you do?

Answer- 1. you always report them. You never have an informal chat with them or ask them why or anything.

2. If the service user is a vulnerable adult again you have a duty to report the safeguarding concern within your organisation to the safeguarding lead even if they say not to (they might refuse to take it further eg to police but you have to report)

Have you looked at the website of the Trust you want to work for. Ours has got organisational values and latest initiatives and they will be pleased if you know what these are. Ours also has policies and procedures and board minutes on the public website so you could look up eg the whistleblowing policy. The minutes can tell you what new initiatives and/ or what challenges there are for that Trust.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 31-Jul-15 09:42:55

Thank you for that it's a great help smile

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 31-Jul-15 15:58:13

Thank you all for your help - I GOT THE JOB smile

VivaLeBeaver Fri 31-Jul-15 17:15:11

Fantastic, well done!

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 31-Jul-15 17:32:26

Thank you smile the 6 C's really helped out!

Twodogsandahooch Fri 31-Jul-15 17:38:25

Has every faith in you . You sounded very well prepared. Many congrats.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 31-Jul-15 17:47:05

Thank you grin

Elfina Fri 31-Jul-15 17:53:58

Wonderful! Well done!

GraysAnalogy Fri 31-Jul-15 17:55:05

Well done

msrisotto Fri 31-Jul-15 17:57:11

Congratulations!

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Fri 31-Jul-15 18:09:55

Thank you all so pleased! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now