Talk

Advanced search

Anyone able to give me a crash course in how to go about applying for PT hours? And all the stuff that goes alongside it (IE Working Tax Credits)

(1 Post)
Totality22 Mon 20-Jul-15 19:09:43

I am half way through a year long maternity leave with DC2. Due back in January.

I will have a 3 year old and a 1 year old when I go back.

I managed to work FT after DC1 as I had family help with childcare but I wont have that this time.

My company [private sector software co.] aren't very progressive. There is scope for some people to work from home but no part-timers. It is a very male dominated company and I am the only woman who has ever returned after ML there were two before me but neither came back after having their babies

I was told when I went back last time there would be no offer of PT but this time I am going to put a formal request in as per the GOVT website / ACAS.

I want to go from 37.5h per week to 22.5h (or even 19.5 - I am undecided just yet) and I want this to fall on the days DC1 will be at nursery.

I have been with my company 13 years, didn't have a single day off when I came back after DC1 and have an exemplary record in terms of attendance, punctuality and productivity. I am a fee earner and do get a performance based bonus but I am going to propose that I take on a non fee earning role, and have my current salary prorated. With my company knowledge I can do in 3 days what my direct manager is proposing to employ someone to do over 5 days head office have given a verbal go ahead to an additional member in my team but it has not come to fruition, I am proposing I will be that additional team member. The person who has taken over my role would be happy to stay on...

Do you think I have a case? Any pointers or suggestions?
Anything legal I can hit my company with?

Also how do working tax credits apply if I reduce my hours? I have never claimed before so not sure. Partner will not be earning when I go back as he'll be in education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now