Talk

Advanced search

Can't wait to go on Mat Leave and don't think I want to come back

(6 Posts)
Trickytricky Mon 20-Jul-15 11:20:56

Hi all, sorry if this isn't the right place for this. I'm currently in my third trimester and can't wait to go on Mat Leave and not be at work. I'm not kidding myself that looking after a baby isn't going to be difficult but I really don't enjoy my job. In fact I've never really enjoyed my job ever since I first qualified. I'm a solicitor and qualified into an area of law I don't enjoy. I wanted to do another area but sort of fell into this area as there was a job! I'm torn as to whether I should see Mat Leave as an opportunity to start again or just focus on the baby and see how I feel in 9-12 months. Did anyone else fee like this prior to Mat Leave and? it

Nolim Mon 20-Jul-15 11:40:55

I didnt but i do think that you can reevaluate your situation in a few months, mat leave is a new start in many ways!

Trickytricky Tue 21-Jul-15 09:29:36

Anyone else felt like this during third trimester?

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Wed 22-Jul-15 16:11:49

I felt exactly like that before starting maternity leave, but now that my baby is seven months I just don't know what to do for the best.
Was about to start a thread about it, actually!
Don't worry about it now, just enjoy your new baby when he or she comes and decide nearer the time.

Trickytricky Wed 22-Jul-15 20:34:56

Nice to hear that other people feel the same Peaceloveand!

What is it that you do? Are you thinking about being a SAHM or doing something entirely different or returning to your previous role?

chocolatefudgecake157 Mon 27-Jul-15 17:53:44

I felt exactly the same as you. Not in love with my career whatsoever (solicitor too) and seriously thought I wouldn't go back to work. Leaving aside the pure joy of having my longed-for baby, I also saw mat leave as an escape from my job and an excuse for not returning to work. I was telling DH to prepare for me not going back and that we'd just have to cope without my income somehow. I thought I'd be a SAHM for a few years and then retrain. I was even looking at local volunteer roles.

I'm now halfway through mat leave and even though I'm not exactly looking forward to going back next year, I'm no longer hating the idea. Being with a baby all day is wonderful but hard and i just didn't realise how much I appreciated and took my independence for granted. I miss the social interaction and actually being of use to clients (despite thinking I hated them most of the time!!). Plus of course money - I just didn't realise how much I would miss earning it.

You could always try going back part time for a while and see how you feel - better the devil you know etc. Having a baby may make you view your job in a whole new light

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now