Talk

Advanced search

Route to teaching in schools

(5 Posts)
roserise4 Thu 09-Jul-15 13:27:10

Hello ladies,
I have been visiting this site very much for every issue i.e from getting pregnant to delivery then issues with kids and cooking, recipes and what not.Now i really need a guidance regarding a job which cannot be just read through others posts as all have different scenarios.
I am a M.A B.Ed qualified teacher teacher from India and have settled here. Have 2 kids and recently delivered my 3rd princess. Very happy and content with my family BUT money is not at all sufficient no matter how much earned-with the raising rent, grocery expenses and with kids around cannot say NO for their wishes thiugh we are not that lenient parents wink n hence wanted to help my DH:-)
As a biology teacher- wanted to pursue teaching but cannot get any as I lack UK experience. Most of the vacancies I applied for were from my kids'schools.
As I have been turned down for main class teaching, i started looking for teaching assistant but then again was in vain to grab any sad Lately I have seen a job for lunchtime assistant- should I apply for this- is it worth doing as a teacher -will it enhance my CV and get me into my dream job.
Pay is not a problem for me but as I have a baby and other household chores should I even apply or wait for my baby 7 months to be old enough to go to school and then join with a fresh mind and could devote full time.
Thanks all for your time to read and I really await your advice.

roserise4 Thu 09-Jul-15 13:35:56

Sorry cannot edit to add up few more things hence here:-) just to mention that
I have done level 3 TA diploma course from Ascentis and also an intesol online TEFL 120 hr course.

CountryLovingGirl Wed 22-Jul-15 14:33:39

Have you tried asking teaching agencies if you could do supply work? This would give you UK experience and look good on your application. I know a couple of teachers who were offered permanent posts doing supply. I would also be tempted to contact the PGCE Biology tutor at one of the local Universities for advice.

Edge Hill University do a lot of different courses (top-ups). If you qualified in India would you have QTS? Sorry, I am not a teacher myself (although I wanted to be a biology teacher when I was younger). You may be able to transfer credits from your current qualifications onto a short course to make you more desirable to UK schools.

Also, you could do private tuition.

I wouldn't go for a lunchtime assistant job. Go for teaching!

LIZS Wed 22-Jul-15 14:39:01

Could you volunteer in your DC school then perhaps apply for a TA or teaching position. Does your training correspond to UK BEd/PGCE? Do you want to work in primary or secondary?

roserise4 Wed 22-Jul-15 15:59:03

Hi,
Thanks Country girl and Liz for your response.
Yeah B.Ed in India certifies you as a Qualified teacher.
Recently I have registered myself for supply teaching in simply education.com- hopefully from sept 2015 they will provide me work on daily basis. Guess this is the best option for me now- can choose my work hours and get the experience.
I feel more comfortable working with KS1 & 2 pupilsmile
Thanks once again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now