Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Apply for low paid jobs that I'm more likely to get or hold off for better paid position?

(2 Posts)
JobEmma Wed 24-Jun-15 16:01:34

I'm starting to apply for jobs after a four year break accompanying my DH overseas. Before we left the UK, I was doing a part-time, term-time only admin role, which fitted in with the dc. I'd had a six year break prior to that, before dc started school. Before I had dc, I was in quite a senior role, earning well over double what the admin role would have paid as a full-time job. However, having had a long break (14 years now) from senior level jobs, I've lost confidence about my ability to do (or even get) a job like that.

I've seen a part-time admin role that is pretty poorly paid but it's just for six months. We now have quite a sizeable mortgage so DH thinks I need to be earning more and that if I do another low-paid role, I'll be stuck on that level and employers wouldn't consider me for higher paid jobs. I think I need to build up my confidence again before being able to apply for any better paid jobs.

Do you think any job is better than no job, or should I attempt to apply for better paid positions?

redskybynight Wed 24-Jun-15 18:40:30

Why not apply for both and see what happens? If nothing else, it's good experience/practice for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: