Talk

Advanced search

I have no idea how to write my cv

(8 Posts)
hugoagogo Wed 24-Jun-15 15:44:32

Do I have to include skills and hobbies and stuff?

basildonbond Wed 24-Jun-15 16:32:23

it depends on how much else you've got to go in there and the type of jobs you're going for

You can get lots of advice online about how to write a CV - this is one site or there's more stuff here

hugoagogo Wed 24-Jun-15 16:54:59

Thank you for those links.

My biggest problem with applying for jobs is the selling myself aspect, I just feel uncomfortable with it, but I know it has to be done.

I cant remember ever getting a job on the back of a cv- always application forms, so I have no confidence in them.

Nolim Wed 01-Jul-15 19:09:28

I have never included hobbies in my cv but i have seen them in other ppls cvs often.

In order to sell yourself think what can you offer as an employe and how to back it up.

Littlef00t Fri 10-Jul-15 19:36:33

I think hobbies are only useful if they show a relevant skill. Eg project manager job, hobby running charity events or something. Publishing, reading and writing reviews, or blogging etc.

I found my local library hosted a work club who were massively helpful. Lots of advice out there.

StickyProblem Sun 12-Jul-15 12:40:43

Hi OP, I am writing mine at the moment.
If you like, send me the jobs you've done, industry you are in etc. and I will have a go at writing your "selling yourself" section. (no need to send any personal info!) I think writing someone else's will inspire me to do mine!

cheminotte Sat 18-Jul-15 21:31:05

Hobbies not so important unless it's voluntary work. Start with a list of jobs and dates in reverse chronological order with a few bullet points about what you did. Keep it to 2 pages. Try and put achievements. So rather than Filing, put Streamlined Filing system.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 18-Jul-15 21:39:15

Also, if you have recent and substantial volunteering experience but a big gap in paid employment, I would suggest including your volunteering in your "work" section (making it very clear that the work was voluntary) rather than hobbies, especially if you are using someone from your volunteering organisation as a reference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now