Talk

Advanced search

What to do about this interview?

(4 Posts)
NotSkinnyYet Wed 24-Jun-15 14:26:29

I'm in a bit of a pickle about this and not sure what to do.

I had an email at the beginning of the week inviting me for an interview. I accepted the invitation and in my reply asked for a copy of the full job description, which I have just received this lunch time.

My problem is this. The full job description specifically asks for a good Maths GCSE grade (A/B) and this is something I do not possess (I got a D). The position is for a graduate marketing executive and all that was asked for in the original job advert was a degree, which I have. Part of me feels a bit deflated now and I'm not sure whether I should now reject the interview, as I feel my chances of getting the job have already gone down before I've even opened my mouth. I really want the job but I don't want to waste their or my time if I've not got a chance, as I'm having to take time from my current job to go to this interview.

What would you do in this situation? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You flowers

ThomasRichard Wed 24-Jun-15 14:50:06

Go for the interview. They already like you enough to have invited you. If they bring up the GCSE maths requirement you can explain then that you didn't get the required grade but can demonstrate numerical/financial literacy in the following ways e.g. previous work responsibilities, elements of your degree etc.

AdventureBe Wed 24-Jun-15 15:06:38

Were the academic requirements in the original ad and you missed them, or were they just not there?

Did you put your degree subject and Maths grade in your application/CV? If so, they already know what you have and still want to interview you. Good luck.

NotSkinnyYet Wed 24-Jun-15 16:04:17

Thank you both for your replies.

GCSE requirements were definately not part of the original ad and a degree was the only academic requirement per se. I currently handle cash on a regular basis and am responsible for banking and reconciliation of donations received at work (I'm currently a fundraiser). I did put my degree subject in my CV and also put my GCSE's within my CV but not specific grades for each one.

Thank you for the luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now